Transactions Per Day

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf Transactions Per Day

• Creator
    Topic
    Garrett Fletcher
    Participant

Hello,

We are looking at getting a new server and our vendor wants to know how many transactions per day we have on our current system. They define a transaction as ‘one message recieved and routed to one destination’.

Does anyone know how I would find out how many transactions I have in 1 day?

Thank you,

Garrett

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Jim Kosloskey
      Participant

One way:

Concatenate all of the .idx files from your inbound SMAT file sets for the time period

email: jim.kosloskey@jim-kosloskey.com

Jim Kosloskey
      Participant

Oh by the way it would be in your best interest to select a ‘peak’ day.

In order to really know what day is a peak day, I think you might want to do this exercise for more than one day.

The real trouble with using the SMAT files is:

1. If you don’t have SMAT turned on – forget it.

2. You have SMAT turned on but don’t archive or regularily cycle (you either don’t have sufficient number of days to find the peak day or the data you have is inaccurate).

3. You cycle and archive. Now you need to gather all of the files (.idx) together and do the work. Depending on the number of inbound threads and the frequency of cycling/archiving this could be a lot of files.

I think you are doing yourself a dis-serviceif you only look at the inbound.

For example if you have a single inbound message routed to 5 destinations, assuming no cross site activity, then the engine is really handling 5 or 6 messages. That load is different than if you have one in and one out (then there is only one message).

What about the acknowledgments? Although the handling may b minimal there is still work to be done.

If you decide to only look at the inbound and take the one to one approach – add a fudge factor or you will end up sucking air in the near future.

Also what about future growth?

Do you know what additinal integrations will be required during the proposed life cycle of this machine?

Garrett Fletcher
      Participant

Thank you, Jim.

We do use SMAT and we do archive and cycle our message files.

I will give this a shot.

Garrett

Garrett Fletcher
      Participant

I have a couple more questions about running this.

How do I Concatenate the .idx files? Do I just start a new file and paste the contents of all the .idx files for the day into that one file?

How should I run this script once it is written? I have never used tcl outside cloverleaf before.

Also, we are running windows 2003 server.

Thanks again,

Garrett

Jim Kosloskey
      Participant

Garret,

In AIX I put this at the beginning of my proc:

#!/usr/bin/ksh

# this line to escape the next line from the tcl interpreter

exec hcitcl “$0” “$@”

proc yourprocname { } {

Your Code goes here…

}

Then at the command line you can type yourprocname.tcl.

I am not sure how any of that changes with Windows.

Just concatenate all of your .idx files together into a new file (I am not sure what Windows command to use for that).

Charlie Bursell
      Participant

Left out something Jim. The proc as shown would simply be loaded into the interpreter and just sit there.  You have to call it.

#!/usr/bin/ksh

# this line to escape the next line from the tcl interpreter

exec hcitcl “$0” “$@”

proc yourprocname {argv argc } {

Your Code goes here…

}

yourprocname $argv $argc

Where:  argv is a list of arguments passed to the proc and argc is the number of arguments passed

Garrett Fletcher
      Participant

Thanks everyone. I never got the tcl script to run in Windows. I did concatenate all the files, then I just loaded them in to a text editor (UltraEdit) and counted the number of lines and divided that number by 15 (each message in the IDX file took up 15 lines).

Alos, to concatenate the files in Windows, all I did was use a batch file with a copy command. COPY /B file1.idx+file2.idx file3.idx. This syntax will concatenate files1 and file2 into file3.

Garrett

Jim Kosloskey
      Participant

Charlie,

Good catch!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags