Things to Include in an FAQ on Clovertech

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf Things to Include in an FAQ on Clovertech

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Participant

I was just compiling an list of things I think would be good for a FAQ list here on Clovertech.

Figured I would ask the world what they think should be on this list.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Tom Rioux
      Participant

I think the FAQ section would be a great place to have a “HOW TO” section.   I know there are a lot of ways to skin a cat but on some of the more absolute solutions, that would be a great place to go to for reference.

Tom

* How to configure standard inbound and outbound threads for pre-5.6 and post-5.6.

* Common regular expressions

* How to create message filters

* How to parse HL7 in tclprocs

-- Max Drown (Infor)

Anonymous
      Participant

I think also.

1> The use of variables in Xlates is a big one.

2> A technique to detemine the proper path for iterations.

3> Looping in a translation.

Chris Williams
      Participant

How about a reminder to people that there is a lot of online tcl help available from the hcitcl prompt when you type in “help”, particularly if you are uncertain of command syntax.

Jim Kosloskey
      Participant

Chris,

If you are on 5.6 the help for extended Tcl commands from the interactive interpreter is not very easy to get at.

Moeover, the tree structure we have become accustomed to has disappeard (you know like help /tcl/files – now it is just /tcl).

email: jim.kosloskey@jim-kosloskey.com

Charlie Bursell
      Participant

The help is still there but has not been updated for Tcl 8.4.  These were help files previously provided by extended Tcl which have not been updated by the Tcl community.  The help facility is still useful for the hci commands.  At the tcl/hcitcl prompt enter: help hci

Also remember you can get usage help by simply typing in part of a command and then hit return at the tcl/hcitcl prompt.  For example, if I enter:  “string map”, I get:

Error: wrong # args: should be “string map ?-nocase? charMap string”

I use a set of HTML help files which I downloaded from the web some time back.  I have uploaded it to the forum before but here it is again.   All of the core commands are covered and examples provided.

I would recommend you make a shortcut to:

yourpathTcl HTML HelpTclCmdcontents.htm

I put my shortcut on the status bar at the bottom of my Windows screen.  That way help is always available without having to close other Windows to get to it

Chris Williams
      Participant

Very nice. Thanks, Charlie.

Robert Milfajt
      Participant

If we could only figure out how to download Charlie’s brain into the FAQ, we’d have it!    ðŸ˜†

Robert Milfajt
      Northwestern Medicine
      Chicago, IL

Chris Williams
      Participant

Downloading and storage could be pretty intense. How about just a URL directly to Charlie’s Brain?

Anonymous
      Participant

I’m afraid that a URL would show us more of Charlie then we want.  ðŸ˜†  

I see lots of post out here on things that are covered or were covered in the level 1 class.

I don’t want to compete with that but things not used get lost so should we include basic setup things here as well ?

Troy Morton
      Participant

How about a list of Environment and Global variables that are available within the Cloverleaf Tcl interpreter(s)?

Chris Williams
      Participant

Troy,

To get the names, try

Code:

puts [info globals]
      puts [array names env]

Troy Morton
      Participant

Thanks Chris, That does work, thanks!

However, a list is only a start.  It still doesn’t give me an explanation of each one and what it’s used for.

Thanks again!  Most helpful!  I can at least take this list and start searching for more information.

Code:

tcl>puts [info globals]
      tcl_interactive tcl_version platformcap tcl_traceCompile auto_path errorInfo EuroBinary env auto_pkg_index argc expect_library XtermPath tcl_traceExec error_spawn_id HciRootDir argv0 ClientServerMode auto_index tcl_pkgPath TCLXENV tcl_prompt1 tcl_libPath tcl_prompt2 localInit timeout argv tcl_rcFileName newBody errorCode HciRoot tcl_patchLevel HciProcessesDir gdbmwrapper TfcUccLocations tcl_platform tcl_library exp_library user_spawn_id any_spawn_id auto_oldpath tty_spawn_id platformcapdb HciSiteDir HciSite exp_exec_library _clPriv tclx_library

tcl>puts [array names env]
      ODBCINI HOME TIX_LIBRARY MANPATH LC__FASTMSG LANG PWD TKX_LIBRARY LOCPATH MAIL LOGNAME FPATH BLT_LIBRARY ODMDIR LOCKMGR DBDPATH TERM HCIROOT SHELL HCISITEDIR A__z DEV_NULL LOGIN DBFPATH SHXMON_INTERVAL HCISITE NLSPATH HCIVERSION MAILMSG AUTHSTATE CLASSPATH LIBPATH QUOVADX_INSTALL_DIR PS1 HCILICFILE PATH TZ USER EDITOR DBTMP _ TCL_LIBRARY TCLX_LIBRARY

David Barr
      Participant

If we had a FAQ, it should discuss how to pick port numbers for threads.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags