Remove CR/LF from ZOR.18 field

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf Remove CR/LF from ZOR.18 field

• Creator
    Topic
    Gina Borden
    Participant

I have an issue where a user is keying in a user_comment_field in the ZOR segment and hitting the ENTER key after the comment.  This CR/LF is making the engine think it is the end of the segment, and of course doesn’t recognize the next segment, because is actually isn’t a new segment.

I’m looking for ideas on the best ways to deal with this.  

Thanks for your help!

Gina

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Jim Kosloskey
      Participant

Gina,

The BEST way is to get the sending system to build a correct message. This is really the sending system’s issue – not yours.

Failing that, my guess is you will need a pre Xlate Tcl proc to remove the offending characters.

email: jim.kosloskey@jim-kosloskey.com

Kevin Kinnell
      Participant

We have a miserable app that doesn’t know about standards, and the exact

same problem with it, but luckily it isn’t a TCP connection.  I have a reaper

script that goes out and gets the message files; it makes decisions about

what messages should go (since the app also sends QC results as messages)

and as a side effect it cleans up the extraneous CR characters and logs the

fact so I can yell at the tech who hit enter.

If I had the problem on a TCP thread, I’d be very tempted to make the

thread a fileset, point the connection to a pipe, and clean it up as I wrote the

file.

Kevin Kinnell
      Participant

Jim,

That won’t work, will it?  You’ve got to get to the message before it gets to

the parser in the engine.

–kevin (where did I put that engine/upoc diagram?) kinnell

Jim Kosloskey
      Participant

Kevin,

For Communication protocols that are not sensitive to CR/LF (such as raw TCP/IP or MLP/PDL) that won’t make any difference until the message is parsed.

Typically that parsing is in the Xlate or when using GRM functions.

So at either the IB Tps or pre-xlate Tps (given no grm functions), you get the entire message within the encapsulation (mlp or length encoded for example).

For file protocols, I think you need to have a different style specified so that the entire message is read since the I/O handlers are typically sensitive to CR/LF.

Jim Kosloskey

email: jim.kosloskey@jim-kosloskey.com

Robert Milfajt
      Participant

Quote:

I have an issue where a user is keying in a user_comment_field in the ZOR segment and hitting the ENTER key after the comment.  This CR/LF is making the engine think it is the end of the segment, and of course doesn’t recognize the next segment, because is actually isn’t a new segment.

I’m looking for ideas on the best ways to deal with this.  

For a quick way to deal with this, make the comment field repeating and replace all of the character pairs with ~ in a TCL proc.  This is how most multiple line results/comments are handled normally.  This assumes your receiving system is OK with the repeating field representing multiple lines.

If not, you need to replace all the fields with something in a TCL on ib_sms and change them back on the ob_sms.

Hope this helps,

Robert Milfajt
      Northwestern Medicine
      Chicago, IL

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags