Recursion in Tclprocs

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf Recursion in Tclprocs

• Creator
    Topic
    garry r fisher
    Participant

Hi,

I have a requirement where I need to use recursion in a Tclproc but I can’t figure out how to do it.

I’ve tried using a namespace for the recursed proc that I can’t get it to work. So is there a way of doing it?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Garry

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Charlie Bursell
      Participant

I don’t know what problems you are having but Tcl does support recursion to a limit.  I think the limit right now is 1000 levels.  Of course, this also assumes you don’t overrun 32-bit limits of numbers, etc.

Go to comp.lang.tcl on Google and search for recursion

garry r fisher
      Participant

Hi Charlie,

I’m not having a problem with recursion in Tcl – My problem is how do you use recursion in a Tclproc. It maybe the way I was taught but how do you call a proc from within the same proc in Cloverleaf?

Regards

Garry

Charlie Bursell
      Participant

Just call it  For example, from comp.lang.tcl

proc fact num {

if {$num==1} {

return 1

} else {

set num [expr {[fact [expr {($num-1)}]]*$num}]

return $num

}

}

garry r fisher
      Participant

I’m happy with that.

My scenario is if I have a tps that calls aonther proc – and that other proc then calls itself – How would I set this up in Cloverleaf? Ican’t get this to work using a namespace for the second proc – Is that the right way of doing it or should it be in a separate library?

Garry

Robert Milfajt
      Participant

I am not sure I understand your question.

If your TCL proc is defined in the directory with all your others, and you ran mktclindex, you should be able to reference that proc from any other proc including itself.

Robert Milfajt
      Northwestern Medicine
      Chicago, IL

Jim Kosloskey
      Participant

Garry,

Send me an email directly and I will send you an example proc I think addresses your needs.

Also, Welch’s book on Tcl has a pretty good explanation of the use of namespaces.

email: jim.kosloskey@jim-kosloskey.com

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags