Passing arguments from alert configurator to tcl proc

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf Passing arguments from alert configurator to tcl proc

• Creator
    Topic
    Nicole Goodyear
    Participant

Has anyone ever tried to pass the thread name to a tcl proc when using the alert configurator?  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Charlie Bursell
      Participant

The thread name is not available except in the alert message.  You can pass the alert message with %A and parse the thread name from that.

For example if using a protocol status alert, I do something like:

set thdPat {protocol status of (m.*?M) is}

set thdName “”    ;# Just in case

regexp -nocase — $thdPat $alrtMsg {} thdName

Where alrtMsg is the alert message that was passed to my proc

Nicole Goodyear
      Participant

Thanks Charlie, that’s exactly what I was looking for!  

OK, so now we’ve built our tcl proc but are having difficulties getting it to run through the alert configurator.  Right now, all I would like to do is set up an alert that calls a tcl proc.  This tcl proc is sending out an email.  I have made my tcl proc executable, has all permissions and I have declared the tcl library at the top of the tcl (#!/quovadx/qdx5.5/integrator/bin/hcitcl).

I have checked the hcimonitord error log and am getting the following:

[aler:aler:WARN/0:  hcimonitord:08/22/2008 09:56:40] Alert #0 triggered.

alert: {VALUE status} {SOURCE {ResendClient }} {MODE actual} {WITH -1} {COMP {== up}} {FOR {nsec 30}} {WINDOW {* * * * * *}} {HOST {}} {ACTION {{exec Thread_Opening.tcl}}}

action: Thread_Opening.tcl &

[aler:aler:WARN/0:  hcimonitord:08/22/2008 09:56:40] Completed Cascade Actions

This tells me that it is tirggering the tcl, but I am never getting an email.  I am calling the tcl in the alert action as exec Thread_Opening.tcl.

Can anyone give me any ideas on how to get this alert working please?

Thanks in advance

Robert Milfajt
      Participant

Can you plug in a copy of your TCL?  It may be a simple syntactical type of error.

One suggestion is that within your TCL, you could include debug that you would write to a file and see where things are breaking down.

Robert Milfajt
      Northwestern Medicine
      Chicago, IL

Russ Ross
      Participant

Nicole:

Here is one of my previous posts that shows how I pass args, including a hardcoded thread name, to a stand alone KSH proc (recycle_thread_alert.ksh) using the Cloverleaf alert utility.

http://clovertech.infor.com/viewtopic.php?t=1806&” class=”bbcode_url”>http://clovertech.infor.com/viewtopic.php?t=1806&

I expect the same approach would also work for a standalone TCL script.

I recall this question coming up several times on clovertech and doing a search on alerts might also give additional examples for you to look at.

Russ Ross
      RussRoss318@gmail.com

Nicole Goodyear
      Participant

Russ, thank you for the link to your post, now that I have a better understanding, your post makes perfect sense!  

I have added my directory to the hci path and I can now call this tcl proc from the command line and it sends me an email, but now when I try to call it in the alert configurator, it is not executing the proc.  After speaking with Charlie, he mentioned that I should call the proc at the end of the proc so that it will actually execute when I call it in the Alert Configurator.  I’ve tried this but I am not getting an email.

I have tried the following alert actions with no success:

{tcl ThreadAlert.tcl} – gives me an invalid command name

{exec ThreadAlert.tcl}

Any thoughts?  Thanks again everyone!

Robert Milfajt
      Participant

Quote:

I have tried the following alert actions with no success:

{tcl ThreadAlert.tcl} – gives me an invalid command name

{exec ThreadAlert.tcl}

Any thoughts?  Thanks again everyone!

What does the first line of ThreadAlert.tcl look like?  If it is not something like the following, the {exec ThreadAlert.tcl} will not work because it does not know what shell to execute the script.

Code:

#!/qvdx/qdx5.5/integrator/bin/hcitcl

If you want to call a tcl proc, {tcl procname}, you need to do a couple of things with ThreadAlert.tcl.  First, you need to have something like the following inside of ThreadAlert.tcl.

Code:

proc procname {
          YOUR TCL CODE HERE
      }

Then you need to put this proc in $HCISITEDIR/tclprocs and run the mktclindex command to define the proc.

Hope this helps,

Robert Milfajt
      Northwestern Medicine
      Chicago, IL

Nicole Goodyear
      Participant

Hi Robert,

The first line of the tcl proc has the shell location

(/quovadx/qdx5.5/integrator/bin/hcitcl)

also, my tcl proc is formatted in the way you described and I have done a mktclindex on it.

Not sure why this is not working in Alert Configurator, but I’m sure it has to be something very easy that I’m missing!

Russ Ross
      Participant

Personally, I prefer to use the directories already defined in the default path by hci so I put my stand-alone scripts in $HCISITEDIR/scripts to avoid being bothered by pathing issues.

You might have to create the directory $HCISITEDIR/scripts manually.

When I do find it necessary to add paths not defined by cloverleaf, I’ve had success by modfying $HCIROOT/bin/hcisetenv to accomplish this across the board.

WARNING: Be safe and make a recoverable backup copy of hcisetenv before making any modifications.

With the advent of the master global site in QDX 5.6, I will no longer have a need to modify hcisetenv to locate global scripts in my master site anymore.

Also, I start all my stand-alone TCL scripts with the following lines so I never have to remediate them when doing future cloverleaf upgrades.

Code:

#!/usr/bin/ksh
      # this line to escape the next line from the tcl interpreter
      exec hcitcl “$0” “$@”

These lines cause the a stand-alone TCL script to dynamically find the correct version of the hcitcl interpreter like magic even when there are multiple version of cloverleaf running on the same server.

Here is a handy script ( parse_path.ksh ) to visually display the current path one directory per line that I find helpful when looking to see what is in the currnet path.

Code:

#!/usr/bin/ksh

echo $PATH:$FPATH | awk -F: ‘{for (i=1;i<=NF;i++) print $i}'

This script will also display those sneaky FPATH directories that make some things very hard to locate like setroot.

Here is another handy script ( find_path.ksh ) that shows all occurenes of the file(s) of interest so you can see the higharcey of execution when you get confused because the same object is defined in 2 differenct search path directories.

Code:

#!/usr/bin/ksh
      #
      # Begin Module Header ==============================================================================
      #
      #——
      # Name:
      #——
      #
      # find_path
      #
      #———
      # Purpose:
      #———
      #
      # search all the default paths (echo $PATH) for the specified file
      #
      #——-
      # Notes:
      #——-
      #
      # Example of normal useage:
      #
      #    find_path parse_hl7
      #    find_path “parse*”
      #    find_path ‘parse*’
      #    find_path parse*
      #
      #———
      # History:
      #———
      #
      # 1999.12.14 Russ Ross
      #          – wrote initial version
      #
      # End of Module Header =============================================================================

pathDirList=`parse_path.ksh`

echo ” ”

for pathDir in $pathDirList; do
        ls -l $pathDir/$1 2>/dev/null
      done

echo ” ”

It will even show you where to find that sneaky setroot function by doing

find_path.ksh setroot

I would also recycle the monitor daemon each time I make a change to the search path to feel more comfortable the change gets picked up by the alerts.

From the command line this should do it:

Code:

hcisitectl -k m
      hcisitectl  -s m -A “a=-cl ‘default.alrt'”

In my case there is a script that touch $HCISITEDIR/defualt.alrt file once an hour during the day to make sure the alerts are refreshed and persistant but not to persistant.

Russ Ross
      RussRoss318@gmail.com

Gary Atkinson
      Participant

Quote:

In my case there is a script that touch $HCISITEDIR/defualt.alrt file once an hour during the day to make sure the alerts are refreshed and persistant but not to persistant.

Ross-

I am curious what you mean by the alerts are refreshed and persistant but not to persistant?  How does the touch command affect the .alrt file?

thx,

Gary

Russ Ross
      Participant

Touching the default.alrt file casues the alert to be reset so to speak.

For example if I have an alert to go off after a thread is down for 10 mintes I will get that alert once when that condition occurs.

However, by touching the default.alrt file once an hour, I will get the alert about the thread being down once an hour until the condition is resolved.

That is what I mean about persistant becuase my alerts will keep going off but not too often because I wait an hour to touch the default.alrt file.

I have found this to be a good comprimise.

Russ Ross
      RussRoss318@gmail.com

Gary Atkinson
      Participant

Thanks that makes sense.

Robert Milfajt
      Participant

Quote:

Touching the default.alrt file casues the alert to be reset so to speak.

Does it follow that editing an alert file causes it to reset?

As a follow up, does the simple act of editing the file cause it to be reloaded?  Currently we bounce the monitord to reload the alert file, but I am sure there is an easier way, I just cannot recall what it is.

Thanks,

Bob

Robert Milfajt
      Northwestern Medicine
      Chicago, IL

Russ Ross
      Participant

You might find many of these discussions took place already in this URL

http://clovertech.infor.com/viewtopic.php?t=2264&#038;” class=”bbcode_url”>http://clovertech.infor.com/viewtopic.php?t=2264&#038;

Russ Ross
      RussRoss318@gmail.com

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags