List of ports in use

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf List of ports in use

• Creator
    Topic
    Mark McDaid
    Participant

What is the easiest way for me to get a list of all of the ports currently in use by the engine.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Greg Eriksen
      Participant

It might help to know which platform you are on, but for starters I think the netstat command will work on both Windows and AIX.  “netstat -a” or “netstat -an” (for ip numbers rather than DNS names) will probably give you a lot of output, so on AIX you could pipe it to grep (or redirect it to a temp file, and then grep that) to search to see if a particular number you want to use is in use.  On AIX you might also take a look at the /etc/services file to see port numbers that are already allocated for other use.  You can also check this website:

http://keir.net/portlist.html

for a list of commonly used port numbers you probably want to avoid.

Mark McDaid
      Participant

Greg,

Thanks for the info.

Bob Richardson
      Participant

Greetings,

You definitely want to avoid using ports that are reserved by convention with the networking community.  Also, for Cloverleaf Integrator starting with CIS5.3 (I believe?) you want to avoid the ephemeral range for multi-connect TCP/IP connections that you create in your sites – usually by default this is 32K thru 64K (configurable by your Operating Systems group).

Ok.. beyond all that we have built a ksh script using awk to step through all the NetConfig files in each site and create a csv style file (comma delimited) to import into an Excel spreadsheet.  We run this for both Production and Test (we have two servers) and merge/sort them in an Excel spreadsheet.  Then pick a pair – for us, an even number for production; an odd number for test – that is not assigned.  As we are a CIS5.3 AIX5.2 shop, the sites are picked up in the code by reading the server.ini file for the environs values.

Let me know if you would like the script for your evaluation.

Enjoy.

Mark McDaid
      Participant

Wow, that’s funny that you said that, because I started writing a tcl script this morning that would parse the NetConfigs and give me a CSV file that I could import into Excel.  If you don’t mind sharing yours, I’d like to take a look at it.  Thanks.

Bob Richardson
      Participant

Folks,

See attachment – if it does not show up then let me know and I will copy/paste the code into a post on this forum.

By the way, the script was written by colleague, Ian Smith here at Allina.

Enjoy.

BobR

Mark McDaid
      Participant

Bob,

Thank you very much.  Merry Christmas!  ðŸ˜€

Bob Richardson
      Participant

Folks,

I donwloaded the attachment in my previous post and all the line terminators are scrubbed out.  So here is the human readable version.

Enjoy.

#!/bin/ksh

# generate_port_doco.sh

# the variable ROOT_LIST is set in .profile.local.end

# If this is null, use $HCIROOT as the ROOT_LIST

# Parse the environs line from $ROOT/server/server.ini for a list of all sites

# Read through each site’s NetConfig and create a csv report

# detailing Site, Thread, Host, Port, Client/Server

HOSTNAME=`hostname`

if -z $ROOT_LIST ; then

ROOT_LIST=$HCIROOT

fi

echo “CLHost,Site,Thread,Host,Port,Client/Server” > ${HOSTNAME}_port_doco.csv

for ROOT in $ROOT_LIST

do

for SITE in `awk -F = ‘/^environs/ { gsub(“;”,”n”,$2);print $2 }’ $ROOT/server/server.ini`

do

awk ‘

/^protocol/  { ThreadName=$2 ; next }

/HOST /      { sub(“{}”,”EMPTY”,$3) ; Host=$3 ; next }

/ISSERVER 0/ { ClSrv=”CLIENT” ; next }

/ISSERVER 1/ { ClSrv=”SERVER” ; next }

/ PORT/      { Port=$3 ; next }

/tcpip/ { print ClHost”,”SiteName”,”ThreadName”,”Host”,”Port”,”ClSrv }

‘ SiteName=${SITE##*/} ClHost=$HOSTNAME $SITE/NetConfig >> ${HOSTNAME}_port_doco.csv

done

done

Charlie Bursell
      Participant

Seems to me if all you wanted were the ports and on Unix

find $HCIROOT -name NetConfig -exec grep PORT {} ;

would work.

For those that are on Windows or want a Tcl solution for the task, I have enclsoed a simple little script.  If not on Windows remove the .htc extension.

Russ Ross
      Participant

Robert H Richardson:

I wrote something crude also but never took it as far as I wanted.

I ran your posted script and like the output better than mine for where I want to eventually go, which is to populate an extra column in our web stats page to list the port number of each thread.

Since we are interested in boiling it down to port numbers in use, there is an extra step I want to eventually program (hint: maybe you will do it for me  ðŸ˜‰  ).

If the NetConfig is using an alias name for a port, then its port number will be defined in the /etc/services file.

It would be nice to replace the port alias name with the actual port number of that alias for display purposes.

Russ Ross
      RussRoss318@gmail.com

Mark McDaid
      Participant

Charlie,

I tried running findPorts.htc on our server (Windows platform) and it runs fine, no errors, prints the column headers, but there are no results.  I’ve looked through the script and am not sure what I am doing wrong.  The root and site are set when I run the script.  I do appreciate your posting this script for use.  Thanks.

Russ Ross
      Participant

I had the same problem with the findPorts.htc script and debugged down to where it is setting the sites using the server.ini file.

After executing this command

regexp — {nenvirons=(.*?)n} $iniData {} sites

the sites variable is null and that is why I think we are not getting any stuff displayed because the following loop to do each site has a null list

foreach site $sites {

I’m not good with regexp off the top of my head and I’m telecommuting today so not likely I can determine any possible regexp issue today.

Russ Ross
      RussRoss318@gmail.com

Mark McDaid
      Participant

I’m not good with regexp either, but at least now I know where to start looking.  Thanks for the info.

Bob Richardson
      Participant

Greetings,

Russ Ross and company,

I have attached a hcitcl version of our find port doco script that was previously posted to this forum under this topic.  If you use /etc/services

for port aliases, this would be more adaptable to doing a search of that file (maybe read it into an array with the alias as the subscript?).  We do not use aliases for our ports in our shop here – can’t get the guys to buy into it right now.

Again, colleague Ian Smith, crafted this script along with the ksh version.

It actually runs a bit faster if you use the Unix utility ‘time’

Hopefully it prove useful to you folks.

Enjoy.

Charlie Bursell
      Participant

I left out a statement to handle the last, nul site.

foreach site $sites {

if {[lempty [string trim $site]]} {continue}

Add the abone

Mark McDaid
      Participant

Charlie,

I added the line of code:

if {[lempty [string trim $site]]} {continue}

just inside the foreach site $sites loop and still get the same, no results listed.  I’ve tried printing the contents of the sites list and it appears that the list is empty.

Mark McDaid
      Participant

I just figured out why it wasn’t working.  I changed this line of code:

regexp — {nenvirons=(.*?)n} $iniData {} sites

to this:

regsub — {nenvirons=(.*?)n} $iniData {} sites

and now it works.

Russ Ross
      Participant

Mark:

I did get better reults by doing what you suggested but it still mishandled the first site in the list of sites.

When I used hcitcl to do some simple tests to debug, the regexp that Chalie used seemed to work but I eventually found an assumption that was not always true.

The logic expects the (environs=) entry in the server.ini file to be terminated with n.

This assumption will be incorrect when the (environs=site_1;site_2;…;site_N) entry is the last entry in the server.ini file and read in using the -nonewline option.

Realizing this I cheked on how the file was read in by the script and sure enough it was using the -nonewline option.

Knowing this made it a simple matter to get Charlie’s post of findPorts.htc to work at MD Anderson Cancer Center by changing the following line from

set iniData [read_file -nonewline $iniPath]

to

set iniData [read_file $iniPath]

The regexp used later in the script is looking for new-line as a terminator and will not find one if the (envorns=site1;site2;…;siteN) entry is the last entry in the server.ini file which is true in my case.

Russ Ross
      RussRoss318@gmail.com

Charlie Bursell
      Participant

Good point Russ.  You can’t think of everything  ðŸ™‚

Mark McDaid
      Participant

Yeah, I discovered the problem with the first site after ‘environs= ‘ and to get around it I just used the siteName that was stripped off the end and then hard coded the join “C:/quovadx/qdx5.2/integrator” $siteName NetConfig.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags