Linux vs AIX for 5.6

• Creator
    Topic
    Gordon Koch
    Participant

We are in the planning stage of upgrading our hardware to run Cloverleaf version 5.6, and there is some discussion as to whether we should go with a Linux OS. We currently run AIX on an IBM platform, and would like from input from people who currently run Linux. The first concern is of system stability/reliability on Linux. Also, please tell me what is your hardware platform with the Linux OS. All input is appreciated.

Thank You,

Gordon Koch

HSS

NY,NY

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Jim Kosloskey
      Participant

Gordon,

Something to consider is whether or not you currently use SNA for any of your connections (partticularily LU-3).

email: jim.kosloskey@jim-kosloskey.com 29+ years Cloverleaf, 59 years IT - old fart.

Gordon Koch
      Participant

Thanks Jim. No SNA connections for our currect IBM server. Just TCP/IP and FTP processes.

Gordon

We moved from AIX to Linux. No regrets whatsoever and the cost savings are enormous.

-- Max Drown (Infor)

Gordon Koch
      Participant

Hello Max,

Thanks for your reply (I just logged back into to CloverTech now). Just to get more specific, how often do you need to reboot the new Linux server (AIX usually goes for 90 days before we reboot)? I assume from your response that there are no speed/performance issues, is that the case? Other than different line commands in the OS, has anything changed regarding maintenance, troubleshooting, etc.

Thank you,

Gordon

Gordon Koch wrote:

Hello Max,

-- Max Drown (Infor)

James Cobane
      Participant

With regards to Linux vs AIX, I would think that it is going to be heavily dependent on your environment (number of interfaces, load, etc) and what the future plans are (i.e. how much growth, is SNA in your future).  While Linux may be lower cost, initially, there may be compelling reasons to remain on AIX/IBM hardware.  Having been on AIX for years, I can say that it has proven to be very reliable.  The last time we re-booted was over 309 days ago, and that was a scheduled reboot when we upgraded.

Good luck with your decision.

Jim Cobane

Henry Ford Health

James Cobane wrote:

With regards to Linux vs AIX, I would think that it is going to be heavily dependent on your environment (number of interfaces, load, etc) and what the future plans are (i.e. how much growth, is SNA in your future).

-- Max Drown (Infor)

Terry Kellum
      Participant

We’ve been using Linux since 2003.  It’s always been stable as a rock and very economical.  We have since moved our Cloverleaf server onto our VMWare cluster and have been very happy with this configuration.

Dave Sanneman
      Participant

Terry, how many threads do you have and how many messages are you processing in a given day?

Thanks

Vaughn Skinner
      Participant

We have been using it for 18 months with 5.6 within vmware.  Only instability issue we have had was due to problems with smb mounts.  Redhat patched the kernel module and we haven’t had any further problem.  They responded quickly and helped us.

Otherwise, we have been very satisfied.

Vaughn Skinner wrote:

We have been using it for 18 months with 5.6 within vmware.

-- Max Drown (Infor)

Vaughn Skinner
      Participant

Here are some of my old notes.  We just used the updated kernels.  We didn’t apply any patches.

1) mkdir failure on samba mount. If redone a few seconds later, it will work. Upgraded to latest kernel and had no more issues.

2) Description:

It appears that the name of the remote network shares was changed within the previous 30 minutes. Redhat cifs module doesn’t handle this gracefully and it did a kernel crash.

Logs:

Aug 28 13:40:25 luke kernel: list_del corruption. next->prev should be efe35b20, but was 00000000

Resolution:

Move all smb mounts to smbclient interface instead.

3) I have noticed that unmounting on reset can take a long time sometimes.

4) bugzilla.redhat.com: [Bug 458210] CIFS related kernel panic in find_unc

5) bugzilla.redhat.com: [Bug 462150] Concurrent CIFS mount/umount processes to same windows machine, different shares hangs umount processes or crashes kernel

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Operating Systems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags