changing hci userid password

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf changing hci userid password

• Creator
    Topic
    Barb Dozier
    Participant

Are there any hidden gotchas to changing the password for the hci userid?

Thanks, Barb

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      John Hamilton
      Participant

We are running AIX and have it changed regulary and have found no problems with that to date.

Russ Ross
      Participant

We change ours from time to time but there was a time when I could not do that.

When I first came to MD Anderson a horrible situation existed.

All the ftp batch jobs used the hci user ID so I had to go through them all and create an ID for each one before I could change the password for the hci user.

There is also a command in AIX called

last

that will show which users are logging in from which machines that can be of help to see if any unexplained IPs are logging in as hci.

I suspect if you make sure all your batch FTP jobs are not using the hci user ID you are likely in good shape to change the hci password.

You may also be using applications like Ultra-Edit FTP edit as the hci user that will need to be changed.

You might also be using X-windows in a way that will require the passwords be reset on the client PC emulators.

Russ Ross
      RussRoss318@gmail.com

Richard Hart
      Participant

We login to the Clovereaf servers with our own username and us the ‘sudo’ command to login to the Cloverleaf ‘hci’ and ‘hcimgr’ accounts.

There is then no need for a password and the normal username security can be used.

We use ‘hci’ for Cloverleaf and created hcimgr as the ‘master’ account for test and prod.

Barb Dozier
      Participant

How would this affect Global Monitor?  How does GM connect to the servers to allow the stopping/starting of processes/threads?  You want the stopping/strating to be done as hci, right so if you change the hci password on the server would you GM configuration then be messed up and no longer able to connect successfully?

Thanks, Barb

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags