Automatic Log Cycling Not Working

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf Automatic Log Cycling Not Working

• Creator
    Topic
    Ian Morris
    Participant

Our Process is set to cycle itself at 30000 kilobytes.  It has grown past that threshold to a size of 92 megabytes.  It shouldn’t get that big right?  Shouldn’t it be limited to 30 megabytes?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Tom Rioux
      Participant

Did you bounce the process after making the change? Not sure if you need to but that might do the trick.

Thanks…

Tom Rioux

Michael Hertel
      Participant

Which logs are talking about and how did you define the threshold?

This will help us troubleshoot for you.

Bill Tipton
      Participant

What is your process in cycling the thread?  

How are you accomplishing this?

Gary Atkinson
      Participant

Check your process log and make sure it is echoing out that LogHistory is turned on.

Kevin Scantlan
      Participant

Here’s from out process log:

[prod:prod:DBUG/1:spacelab_ri_1:04/20/2010 13:39:06] Automatic cycling of output log files: eoLogFileCy

cleThreshold:20000 kB logFileSize:89457 kB errFileSize:0 kB

[prod:prod:INFO/0:spacelab_ri_1:04/20/2010 13:39:06] Environment variable HCI_EOCYCLE_TRIES not found,

using default.

[prod:prod:INFO/0:spacelab_ri_1:04/20/2010 13:39:06] HCI_EOCYCLE_TRIES = 200.

[prod:prod:WARN/0:spacelab_ri_1:04/20/2010 13:39:06] Attempting to cycle output file.

The log itself says threshold to be 20000 kB but cycled at 89457 kB.

Process aborted last night when attempting to cycle:

[prod:prod:DBUG/1:site3_ps01_cmd:04/21/2010 23:57:02] Automatic cycling of output log files: eoLogFileC

ycleThreshold:20000 kB logFileSize:319465 kB errFileSize:0 kB

[prod:prod:INFO/0:site3_ps01_cmd:04/21/2010 23:57:02] HCI_EOCYCLE_TRIES = 200.

[prod:prod:WARN/0:site3_ps01_cmd:04/21/2010 23:57:02] Attempting to cycle output file.

This one was not even close.  Any suggestions?

Gary Atkinson
      Participant

I would log a ticket with support.  I am not sure what Environment variable HCI_EOCYCLE_TRIES not found means

Michael Hertel
      Participant

Check your siteInfo file.

When this first came out the parameters were case sensitive.

Code:

######################################################################
      # LogHistory Feature Configurable Options.
      # change these values unless you are sure of what you are doing.
      ######################################################################

# LogHistoryEnabled – The number identifying if LogHistory feature is
      #                     enabled for this site, and this is applied to scope of site,  
      #                     engine and monitord log are included.
      #                     0 : LogHistory feature is disabled. This is also
      #                         the value by default.
      #                     1 : LogHistory feature is enabled.
      LogHistoryEnabled=1

# LogHistoryMaxLogFiles – The number identifying the maximum number of backed-up
      #                         log files which cloverleaf keeps if LogHistoryEnabled=1.
      #                         This is applied to engine and monitord log.
      #
      #                         0 : maximum number is unlimited, 0 is
      #                           also the value by default. It means unlimited.
      #                         x (x>0): the maximum number is set.
      LogHistoryMaxLogFiles=5

# LogHistoryMaxDiskUse – The number identifying the maximum size (in KB) of total
      #                        backed-up log files which cloverleaf keeps if LogHistoryEnabled=1.
      #                        This is applied to engine and monitord log.
      #
      #                        0 : maximum size is unlimited, 0 is
      #                          also the value by default. It means unlimited.
      #                        x (x>0): the maximum size is set.
      LogHistoryMaxDiskUse=0

#LogHistoryCompressCommand – The string value identifying the command to
      #                            compress the backed-up log files to save the disk space.
      #
      #                            The value of this option is the executable name to compress
      #                            the backed-up log files. By default it is set to NULL, compressing
      #                            is disabled. gzip and compress command is supported.
      #                            For example: LogHistoryCompressCommand=gzip
      LogHistoryCompressCommand=NULL

Kevin Scantlan
      Participant

The only thing I changed was putting a “1” to enable the LogHistory and replace “NULL” with “compress”.  It appears to be cycling, just waiting much too long after we told it to.

Lawrence Williams
      Participant

We are seeing this same issue….log files are not getting automatically cycled.

If Michael is correct and the parameters are case sensitive, this would seem to be a bug, because I just performed a hcisiteinit and it creates the siteInfo file in lowercase.

Michael Hertel
      Participant

What happened to us on one of the versions was:

We enabled logging and it looked like this –

LogHistoryEnabled=1

Logging worked as expected.

Then I messed around with the color of the bar at the bottom of the NetMonitor and when it saved the siteInfo back, the save changed it to this –

LOGHISTORYENABLED=1

or maybe it was –

loghistoryenabled=1

I really don’t remember but the logging broke. What I do remember is that it had to be mixed case. I also believe that saving was fixed in a later release.

Michael Hertel
      Participant

This post seems to point to compression as a possible problem:

http://clovertech.infor.com/viewtopic.php?t=4189&highlight=hcieocycletries

David Burks
      Participant

I am attempting to duplicate this.  I have not been able to duplicate the case change.  It stays lowercase in all my testing.  

Reading through the posts it seems everyone having a problem is running Cloverleaf 5.7 on AIX.  Is that accurate or is someone also having difficulty on different OS?  Is everyone using the same version of AIX?

For those having this problem with log history feel free to send me any information about your setup and observations.  Be good if you could send me your siteInfo files.  Send to techsupport@healthvision.com with attention Jimmy and David.

Kevin Scantlan
      Participant

Cloverleaf 5.6 and AIX 5.3

Russ Ross
      Participant

David:

I was curious to see how this behaives at our location and share that with you.

We are at AIX 5.3 TL8 SP8 and Cloverleaf 5.6 rev2.

When I use hcisiteinit to create a new site I have mxied cased entires in the siteInfo file that match the comments.

After I do something like change the color bar via the IDE then the entires in the siteInfo are all lowercase.

Russ Ross
      RussRoss318@gmail.com

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags