Greetings: [we are on AIX5.3 TL8 CIS5.6 R2]
Thomas, you challenged me to prove my assertion and by conducting a few experiments in a test site, you are indeed right and I am wrong here.
See below for my experiment details.
However, all is not lost !! In my experiment, I traced the message in the route tester tool and found that it will create an output file for each recipient thread (outbound) that is a PRE-TPS Outbound image for the receiving thread. By resending these files either via command hcicmd or the GUI as Outbound PRE-TPS any logic in the outbound thread’s “OUTBOUND TPS” Upoc will get exercised and also any “PreWrite” logic (we use this when we want to massage State 11s or filter them once the thread is connected by the remote end for whatever reason).
I will need to let my group know these results – back when we were on CIS5.3 R3 we had figured that my previous assertion had been correct based on our collective experiences. So I cannot prove or disprove how the route tester tool works on that version in this case. In about 3% of our configurations, we tend not to place procedures in the TPS Outbound stack other than numfile style procs. But then these are used in fileset/local threads in our shop.
Perhaps other Cloverleafers can chime in here with their experiences?
Experiment details: (let me know if you want my procs – can post here or email them to you):
1. set up an input fileset thread, output TCP/IP auto reply/resend thread with a dummy port that nothing should connect
2. configured a route detail with pre, xlate, post for the input thread to the output thread
3. plugged in a tps_debug_display Tcl proc at all upocs on both threads
4. plugged in a tps_add_data TCL proc in the Outbound thread “TPS Outbound” Upoc – a simple “msgappend” statement to the message
5. ran my input message in the route tester and observed that NO logic was exercised in the recipient (outbound) thread (the msgappend)
6. Did this several times to rule out any fat finger errors on my part
7. Checked the displays of upoc context, etc from the route tester (output from tps_debug_display)
8. Resent output file from route tester as PRE-TPS Outbound from the GUI NetMonitor
9. Obseved that the TPS Outbound Upoc msgappend now executed.
10. Checked the process log that the PreWrite was also executed.