xlate question

• Creator
    Topic
    Daniel Bantaa
    Participant

I have an xlate that I use for ORUs to fix the result flags in certain cases.  It work fine to fix the flags, but know I’m have problems with the OBX(7) field in some cases.  I think it because of the bulkcopy, because I don’t do anything else with this field.

ex.

before xlate ->  1.005-1.030

after xlate -> 1.005-1.03

The last zero is getting stripped off, but not in every case.  It seems like it only what a max of 10 chars?

Thanks in advance.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Ryan Spires
      Participant

Daniel,

Check your field length within your outbound variant… it may be truncating it to length of 10…

if so, just mod the field length in the variant and you are off an running.

Ryan

Daniel Bantaa
      Participant

I’m not using a variant, the xlate is HL7 2.3 to HL7 2.3.  I’m only using the xlate to modify the result flag in certain cases.

Russ Ross
      Participant

As you can see by the attached screen shot the standard definition for OBX-7 does have a maximum length of 10 like Ryan suspected.

So his suggestion is valid but he just didn’t know that you also need to create a variant before you modify the field length.

I would not ever change the standard definiton because it will disappear with any future cloverleaf upgrades you might do.

Russ Ross
      RussRoss318@gmail.com

Daniel Bantaa
      Participant

That makes sense, but how does the incoming message, which is HL7 2.3, have more than 10 chars in that field?

Russ Ross
      Participant

I have observed like you that the xlate only turncates what goes out and not what comes in.

It is my understanding it is designed to behave this way.

In fact there are other interesting aspects about how the xlate treats what comes in.

Like you can access extra subfields that are not even defined in the variant.

I think the idea is to have the xlate manipulate what goes out and not what comes in.

Russ Ross
      RussRoss318@gmail.com

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags