Windows vs. Linux

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf Windows vs. Linux

• Creator
    Topic
    Tom Righele
    Participant

Howdy friends! It’s been a long time!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Tom Righele
      Participant

Does anyone have any feed back at all?

James Cobane
      Participant

Hi Tom,

As for the virtues of Windows vs Linux, I think it comes down to is what is your organizations level of expertise in supporting one vs the other.  Also, I think many would argue that the UNIX based platforms are more stable and less prone to patching and viruses.

We run AIX, so I can’t speak to Windows performance/reliability.

I know this doesn’t really give you much, but thought I would at least respond. 🙂

Jim Cobane

Henry Ford Health System

Austin Adams
      Participant

I would have to agree with that. It all depends on the expertise of the staff. I have used CL on both OS’s and I prefer Linux. With Linux, imho, you have more powerful tools at the command line than you do with Windows.

The major issue with Windows for me was updates and patches. I would have to reboot the server every 3 months. Other interface analysts liked Windows because it was point and click mostly and they had very little experience with Linux.

With Linux, it will take some time to learn the OS and learn some of the CL commands, but once you learn it, you will use it often. I would have to reboot Linux about once ever 2 – 3 yr due to facility wide network issues. Other than that, I wouldn’t have to reboot.

If it’s possible, set up both Windows and Linux, install and get a short term license from CL, and evaluate it.

Tom Patton
      Participant

I also agree that it depends on your understanding of the OS.

However, you can always use Infor to setup your clustered environment – that has worked well for us to have the setup done and then we manage going forward.

We run AIX for Clover, and Windows for advanced security and global monitor – that works well.

We also run a windows OPENLink engine that handles an old SNA connection for registration data.  I had to switch to windows host server when IBM rolled communication manager into Websphere and the price was astronomical…

Ever since then I get grief every month when we need to do patching and need a 15 minute outage.

Tom Righele
      Participant

Hey all! Your comments are all appreciated by the Valley Team!

Thank you all for the information!

-Tom 8)

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags