VRL termination in HRLS when using VRLs with Include files

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf VRL termination in HRLS when using VRLs with Include files

• Creator
    Topic
    Terence Gucwa
    Participant

I was creating an HRL containing several VRLs, one which repeats.  The VRLs contain groups that are defined in a different VRL file.

I was frustrated for quite some time because none of the data mapped into the VRLs other than the first.  I fussed and fussed with various ideas and options, until finally I tried putting the termination character into the “Include” file.  Then suddenly, my problems went away.

What’s the rules or rational regarding Global Properties when using Include files.  Do Include file properties always take precedence over the base VRL?  Or is life more complicated than that?   What about when there’s a mixture of Include groups and fields directly placed in the VRL?  What if multiple Include files?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Jim Kosloskey
      Participant

Terence,

The rationale is each VRL has its own Global Properties.

So if we have 2 VRLs (a & b) and the termination character for b is CR and the termination character for a is LF and we use both of the VRLs in an HRL the file needs to look like this:

reca…

reca…

LF

recb…

recb…

CR

email: jim.kosloskey@jim-kosloskey.com 29+ years Cloverleaf, 59 years IT - old fart.

Terence Gucwa
      Participant

Yes, I understood that all along, but I gather the Global Properties in an Include(d) file has precedence over the Global Properties in the VRL file.  The Global Properties in the VRL were ignored in favor of the Include file.

At least that’s what I just experienced.  It’s not something I would have ever guessed.  Well, I guess I did guess, but it took awhile.

Jim Kosloskey
      Participant

Terence,

OK – Hmmm I guess then I misunderstand what you mean include(d) file.

Do you mean a VRL included in the HRL because you cannot include a VRL from a VRL?

email: jim.kosloskey@jim-kosloskey.com 29+ years Cloverleaf, 59 years IT - old fart.

Terence Gucwa
      Participant

No, I can use VRLs with include files in an HRL.  For example:

pclonglist.vrl might refer to an Include file called pcgroups.vrl.

pcgroups.vrl might have in it groupa, groupb, groupc, and groupd.  Each of these groups might have, let’s say, dozens of fields.

pclonglist.vrl might have in it, let’s say, two fields – groupa and groupb.  The individual fields get pulled in from pcgroups.vrl.

HRL pcbigrecord.hrl might have pclonglist.vrl as a component, along with other components.  What I’m saying is the termination character in pcgroups.vrl is the one that counts; the termination character in pclonglist.vrl was just ignored.

Weird, if you ask me, but now that I know, I can cope.

Jim Kosloskey
      Participant

Terence,

OK, now I see.

I have never played with this include feature before.

As long as I have been using clovertech I always learn something new.

Thanks

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags