VARIOUS WAYS TO MANIPULATE AN HL7 MSG

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf VARIOUS WAYS TO MANIPULATE AN HL7 MSG

• Creator
    Topic
    Tom Parsons
    Participant

I currently have a simple IB -> OB HL7 connection thru CL6 being processed as RAW (as is) with no filters, no variants, and no xlates.

However, I am now required to add a “very minor change” to one of the HL7 segments and then send to the OB side.

Other than modifying the connection to HL7 + adding an HL7 variant + adding an xlate

-OR-

building a “tps script” (TCL/JAVA/BATCH/POWERSHELL,etc.) to modify the raw IB msg directly, are there any other ways to to manipulate an HL7 segment/msg ?

Thanks,

Tom

[]

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Jim Kosloskey
      Participant

Not that I know of.

If it were me I would define the variants (if not already done) and build the Xlate.

It is quite likely once you are asked to open up messages there will be other requests.

Probably best overall to find out now everything the receiving system needs to have changed so you can do a really organized transformation rather than constructing as the requirements ‘dribble out’.

Just my opinion though.

email: jim.kosloskey@jim-kosloskey.com 29+ years Cloverleaf, 59 years IT - old fart.

Dustin Sayes
      Participant

What is the minor change? If it isn’t involving encoding characters or escape sequences, your best bet is a variant and xlate. Else, if you are you dealing with encoding characters you’ll most likely need to address this outside of the xlate.

I personally find value in building a variant, xlates and defined routes at the beginning of the implementation. This typically takes very little time and sets me up for quick modifications in the future.

Of course you can do your translation in a tps, on the route or at other message states.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags