v6.0 GUI slow if I don’t restart windows

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf v6.0 GUI slow if I don’t restart windows

• Creator
    Topic
    Diana de Bruin
    Participant

I’ve been using the new v6.0 IDE for a while now and I’ve noticed that swapping sites and reading the recovery and error database keeps getting slower (response time > 2 minutes) if I don’t restart my Windows7 PC every few days.

I never had this problem with the old v5.8 IDE.

Is there anything I can do about this (except the obvious daily reboot)?

Diana

LUMC -Leiden University Medical Centre
    The Netherlands

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Russ Ross
      Participant

You may be onto something.

I have Cloverleaf 6.0 running on AIX 6.1 servers with client IDE running on windows 7 PC.

I had been discussing with another team member today about the netmonitor taking longer than normal to launch.

Most of the time I reboot my PC regular because I telecommute about every other day, however not the case this week so PC hasn’t been rebooted for maybe a week.

After reading your response I rebooted and the netmonitor launched instantly.

With your observation added to mine a fuzzy suspicion is coming into partial focus that cloverleaf 6.0 GUI slows down the longer the PC hasn’t been rebooted.

I will be passing this along to our team.

Russ Ross
      RussRoss318@gmail.com

Bob Richardson
      Participant

Greetings,

Though we are currently running 5.8.7.0, we are very interested in your experience with a slow IDE on the 6.0 release.  We understand that there is a patch 01 and 02 available – perhaps there are memory leaks in the Java jar binaries?

I urge you folks to submit an incident to INFOR support on their website to investigate IDE slowness.

Russ, I telecommute every day with a few exceptions and the last thing I need to deal with is a slow IDE when we move to the Cloverleaf 6.0 release.

Thanks.

Jim Kosloskey
      Participant

I have NOT experienced that slowdown on 6.0 and I telecommute every day as well.

However, I do shut down my laptop every day to save energy so maybe that is a factor.

email: jim.kosloskey@jim-kosloskey.com 29+ years Cloverleaf, 59 years IT - old fart.

Bob Richardson
      Participant

One and All,

Even running 5.8.7.0 (which by the way got a couple of backupdates from 6.0!), I do experience slowness but then I have set my Java args to 1024 Meg.  As a result, just running my email app (Outlook) on Win 7 64 bit and an IDE I consume around 55 to 60% of my MEMORY of 4.0G.

Hardly any CPU (2.5Ghz) consumed.  I ran task manager to watch these resources.  My disks do get defragged once a week – scheduled task on my PC.  The IDE running on our clients sucks up resources as everything including opening SMAT files is done on your desktop.   God!   I miss the old Tcl/TK days when the clients ran on the host and did its work locally.

I restart my desktop every day now as a precaution (to clean

up those suspected memory leaks in the IDE – not confirmed, but only suspected by myself).

Note:  I have requested and will be getting an additional 2G of memory added to my desktop (docked laptop).  By the way I have an IBM Lenovo T520 if that makes any difference.

I hope there was something useful in my post!

Gena Gill
      Participant

A quick fix is to close all instances of Cloverleaf on your workstation, then in the directory where you  have Cloverleaf installed on your workstation navigate to qdx##integratorclient, where ## is your version number.

In that directory, you’ll see a client.ini file.  Delete it.  If you’re worried about deleting it, make a copy and put it somewhere safe.  Then launch Cloverleaf, and you’ll see that it will launch a lot quicker.  You’ll have to put in the IP address of the engine again, and make all of those custom configuration changes again, which will recreate that .ini file.

When I’ve been using Cloverleaf heavily and running multiple instances at once, such as during a recent switch of all of our in-house clinical systems and our patient financial system, I would do that every day at the beginning of the day.

Bob Richardson
      Participant

Update: Folks,  my support laptop had its memory doubled and also the paging space setting was upped from a defaulted fixed small allocation (in the K’s) to a range of 15MB to 35MB now.  Setting is in computer properties >> Advanced Settings >> Performance Options.

Running better now – more responsive.

Time will tell of course.

Mike Strout
      Participant

I thought I would throw in my two cents. Here are my workstation specs…

64 bit dual core pentium with 4 GB ram (I know…darn corp standards)

Windows 7

No special tweaks to virtual memory or other windows settings.

The 5.8 and 6.01 client GUIs run smoothly, even when I have as many as 4 sites open, Outlook, Citrix windows running two Epic environments, Ultra Edit, Excel, a terminal window or two and FileZilla. I haven’t rebooted my workstation in weeks.

I do have my client.ini set to read-only at the OS level, so I get prompted for server and site every time I launch an instance. I don’t think that would make any difference, but thought I would toss it out there. I am happy help if you want me to run some performance tests or whatever.

Mike

<

Diana de Bruin
      Participant

Thanks to eNovation support I found a solution for my ‘slow client’ problem.

I’ve added value

LUMC -Leiden University Medical Centre
      The Netherlands

James Cobane
      Participant

I think the issue with copy/paste is the font of the hyphen in the post/documentation.

Jim Cobane

Henry Ford Health

David Teh
      Participant

Could it be the java version that shipped with your Cloverleaf version?

Google:

problem  export DTRACE_DOF_INIT_DISABLE

R&D has been unable to reproduce this. If anyone would be willing to work with R&D on this issue, please shoot me a PM with your contact info.

-- Max Drown (Infor)

Brian Goad
      Participant

Wonder if you bounce the host services will it make a difference? I recall historically that was an issue on previous versions.

Mike Keys
      Participant

Also, we had a similar issue when using the IDE to remotely login to our server using AIX 6.1. Turns out our Unix admin updated a file change auditing agent and this caused auditing to be turned on at the OS level, so every piece of data coming in, going out and changing on the server was being logged. As you can imagine, this overhead added about 7 seconds to our login and site switching times.

Turned off auditing….all was well.

Mike

Russ Ross wrote:

You may be onto something.

I have Cloverleaf 6.0 running on AIX 6.1 servers with client IDE running on windows 7 PC.

I had been discussing with another team member today about the netmonitor taking longer than normal to launch.

Most of the time I reboot my PC regular because I telecommute about every other day, however not the case this week so PC hasn’t been rebooted for maybe a week.

After reading your response I rebooted and the netmonitor launched instantly.

With your observation added to mine a fuzzy suspicion is coming into partial focus that cloverleaf 6.0 GUI slows down the longer the PC hasn’t been rebooted.

I will be passing this along to our team.

Brad Dorr
      Participant

From your GUI on your desktop/laptop

1.) Click on Options in the Menu

2.) Then chose Client Options

3.) Find the NetConfig/NetMonitor tab

4.) Uncheck the box for Automatically update inter-site routing status.

from Brad Dorr

Anthelio Integration Team

Robert Milfajt
      Participant

And I was afraid to post a similar inquiry for fear of soundling like a whiner…  This tip is golden!  Thanks Brad!!

Robert Milfajt
      Northwestern Medicine
      Chicago, IL

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags