Using split command for Large txt file

Homepage Clovertech Forums Cloverleaf Using split command for Large txt file

• Creator
    Topic
    William McDavid
    Participant

So I’m trying to split a file that has over 20k HL7 messages but it’s just creating a file that is the same size. The command I’m using is split -5000 filename. I’m told this should create files with 5k messages in each file. So I should have approximately 4 files but I’m only getting the one that is the size as the original file.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Robert Kersemakers
      Participant

What OS are you on?

On RHEL you need to use parameter -l if you deviate from the default 1000 lines. So

split -l5000 <filename>

should give you the result you need. Use

man split

for the manual.

Zuyderland Medisch Centrum; Heerlen/Sittard; The Netherlands

William McDavid
        Participant

Unix AIX 6.1

This gave me the same result file splitting to a new file of the same size.

David Barr
      Participant

Try putting a space in the command: split -l 5000. If that doesn’t work, then it’s probably a limitation of the AIX version of this command. I’ve run into issues with AIX and HPUX utilities not dealing well with files that contain really long lines. You may have to write a script to split the file apart.

Robert Kersemakers
      Participant

Just a thought: maybe the command doesn’t split on lines because it can find only one.

If the file contains CL lenght-encoded HL7 messages with only <CR> separating the segments and no <LF> or <CR><LF> to indicate the end of a line, then the command is working as it should.

Have a look at the file with hcihexdump or notepad++ to see if this is the case. Or try to split a normal text-file and see if that works.

Zuyderland Medisch Centrum; Heerlen/Sittard; The Netherlands

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags