trouble with shell window from remote client

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf trouble with shell window from remote client

• Creator
    Topic
    Julie Kimmel
    Participant

Hello,

I have been trying to launch the shell window from my remote client. It was originally attempting to telnet, would not connect, and the shell would go away. I determined that the server did not have the telnet service configured, so configured the server. My remote client will now connect to the server through telnet, but the settings are not correct. It can not do setroot, or setsite, or any of the hci commands.

Does anyone know how the telnet needs to be configured to work with/through Cloverleaf?

Thanks

Julie Kimmel

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Tom Henderson
      Participant

Usually, when you log in by telnet, the server starts up a shell.  The shell should read an initialization file, which should set up the environment for you, allowing you to use setroot, setsite, and all the hci- commands.

So the problem is that this is not happening for you.  I’m not sure if your server is running Unix or Windows, but in Unix servers, Cloverleaf typically sets your login shell to the Korn shell (ksh), and the initialization file is named .profile (with a leading period).

So your long term fix is to find why the .profile file is not being read to set up your environment when you log in.  Perhaps you’re not logging in as hci or hcitest, which Cloverleaf sets up for you.  Or perhaps you’re using a different login shell.

A quick workaround is to immediately after login type the command  source .profile  (note the leading period).  This should set up the environment for you.

If you’re not using the ksh login shell, though, setroot and setsite will not be properly read in, and you’ll have to do that manually as well.  You can do that by changing to  the “kshlib” directory just under your Cloverleaf root, and typing   source *

Julie Kimmel
      Participant

Thank you for your response,

I am using windows – sorry for not mentioning that earlier

That does seem to be along the line that I am thinking.

I am seeing some errors involving the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USERSOFTWAREActiveWarePerl5

(error says

‘Couldn’t open HKEY_CURRENT_USERSOFTWAREActiveWarePerl5!!’

I think that that is not allowing the reading of the file to set up the hci variables and such.

Does anyone know how to get that registry key opened?

Thank you,

Julie

Julie Kimmel
      Participant

I got it figured out… I had to set the server telnet to not use NTLM…it is still a little fishy at this point… but atleast it is working.

Thanks for the help.

Julie

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags