Testing Tool: TPS, no output – using on a virtual machine

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf Testing Tool: TPS, no output – using on a virtual machine

• Creator
    Topic
    Kristin Rohr
    Participant

Hi,

I have Cloverleaf 6.0.2.0P installed on a virtual Windows 7 instance.  I am attempting to use the testing tool, but can’t get past the “Please wait … Command output:” and the tcl code doesn’t execute.  I have ruled out the tcl code, because it tests wonderfully on my Windows 7 PC, just not on the virtual.  My co-worker has a similar vm set up and also is unable to use the testing tool.  Has anyone had any luck using the testing tool gui on a virtual workstation?  All other Cloverleaf features appear to work on the VM, other than the testing tool.  

Thanks for any insight/assistance!

Kristin

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

Try disabling Windows Firewall.

-- Max Drown (Infor)

Diana de Bruin
      Participant

I have a slightly different recurring problem.

I use the IDE on my PC to connect to my cloverleaf 6.0.2 (vmware) server.

I regularly don’t receive output when using the testing tool.

When that happens I start the IDE on the vmware server and redo the test. On the server I never have problems getting the output from the testing tool.

Diana

LUMC -Leiden University Medical Centre
      The Netherlands

Your firewall(s) is blocking the testing tool traffic.

-- Max Drown (Infor)

Robert Milfajt
      Participant

We had problem when we moved servers to new data center and found network had rules about traffic within our network.  So besides firewall, there may be network rules preventing bidirectional traffic between the subnet where your workstation is located and where the server is running.

Hope this helps,

Robert Milfajt
      Northwestern Medicine
      Chicago, IL

Kristin Rohr
      Participant

Thank you for the replies.  Sorry I didn’t respond sooner – notifications were off.  

I have tried turning off the firewall, it didn’t fix the problem.  Also, it works fine from another workstation in my office, so I don’t think the network has anything to do with it since I’m on the same subnet with both.  I was wondering if there was something specific to running on a virtual machine that would be causing this issue?  Has anyone successfully used a VM for the Cloverleaf client and been able to use the testing tool?  I realize I have work arounds, but it would be nice to get this working on the VM.  

Thank you again for the replies.

Are the other workstations where the testing tool is working also VMs and on the same network?

-- Max Drown (Infor)

Kristin Rohr
      Participant

The workstation that the testing tool works on is not a VM, and we have two VM’s that it doesn’t work on.  Same network for all.  Also, all are Windows 7.  

Thank you.

I’m 80% sure there’s a firewall or routing problem. You’ll have to keep digging to find out for sure. Remember that there can be multiple layers of firewalls: the local machine may have a firewall, the VM infrastructure may have a firewall, the network, etc. Because of the way the Testing Tool works, it is very common to have this problem when a firewall is involved.

-- Max Drown (Infor)

Kristin Rohr
      Participant

I’ll keep digging on the firewall route.  Thank you!  I’ll let you know if I find a solution.

Steve Williams
      Participant

Kristin,

Kristin Rohr
      Participant

No resolution yet.  I’ve tried many different things with the firewall and antivirus settings, and nothing seems to be the magic setting.  I’ve been using a non-VM Windows 7 machine and it works just great.  If anything new pops up, I will be sure to add the resolution.  

Thank you!

Kristin Rohr
      Participant

Steve Williams wrote:

Kristin,

Try a bridged adapter instead of NAT. And make sure you disabled the Windows Firewall on the VM.

-- Max Drown (Infor)

Kristin Rohr
      Participant

Max Drown wrote:

Try a bridged adapter instead of NAT. And make sure you disabled the Windows Firewall on the VM.

I’ve tried that as well, same result.

Steve Williams
      Participant

I also tried that and got the same results (work it does not). To add some additional info to this thread, when I’m on the local network, the testing tool does not work/respond (the GUI eventually times out). When I’m remote and connect via VPN, the test tool works some of the time, it’s hit or miss.

Running Win 7 Pro in a VMware virtual machine on a Win10 Pro hosting Dell laptop E7440.  

I try running the GUI from Win10 native in a week or so when I have some “play time.”

Joe Grathoff
      Participant

V5.8.   Incase someone has a problem related to the testing tool not responding and you’re using HL7 V2 message with Base64 embedded PDF, it can make the Testing tool not respond.  I removed the last segment containing Base64 and then ran the testing tool from the command line by copying the command to issue.

Jeff Anderson
      Participant

I’ve had this happen when working from home via a VPN connection. I haven’t resolved it, but you can copy/paste the command from the testing tool into a command window and at least get the results on the screen. Hope this helps.

bill whatley
      Participant

Hi All,

I’ve also had this problem.  Max D. has posted about setting up for firewalls (version 5.8.5 and later).  See any post by Max or check out http://clovertech.infor.com/viewtopic.php?t=6908

Steve Williams
      Participant

I still run into this issue from time to time. The latest incarnation occurred just last week for me and several members of my team. We are running CL v6.1.3 on Windows Server 2012 and on the local area network. I’ve looked into firewall setting impacting this issue before and never found a solid solution. The issue does not seem to be consistent and almost impossible to reproduce on demand.

The work around that always seems to works is to run the desired testing command via command line (Windows) or via telnet (Unix). It does not happen often, but it can be frustrating when it does happen. For less seasoned Cloverleaf users, the skills of using a command line to run testing may be underdeveloped. Which leads to more frustration.

bill whatley
      Participant

Well, funny timing.  I just went through this on Windows 10 VM with CIS 6.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags