Testing a field for NULL or BLANK in Xlate

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf Testing a field for NULL or BLANK in Xlate

• Creator
    Topic
    Manny Zachodin
    Participant

I am trying to use IF/ELSE in xlate based on a filed that is equal to NULL or BLANK, and getting an error

“[0:TEST] Bad value ‘””‘

[0:TEST] IF expression parse failed: Value references must yield exactly one datum

Error occurred at: ‘”‘

Tried If fieldname ne NULL, ‘ ‘, ” “…etc and always get the same error.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Jim Kosloskey
      Participant

Manny,

Have you tried @null?

Jim Kosloskey

email: jim.kosloskey@jim-kosloskey.com 29+ years Cloverleaf, 59 years IT - old fart.

Manny Zachodin
      Participant

I tried @null ask per your advice and it worked. Do you know if @blank will work too? Thanks again for your advice.

Jim Kosloskey
      Participant

Manny,

There is not an intrinsic temp variable that I am aware of that is known as @blank.

Besides, if this is an HL/7 or X12 message, you should not see a field (or component or sub-component for that matter) with all spaces.

If however, this is something other than a structured message (such as FRL or VRL) then you will need to use a Tcl proc to check to see if the field is all spaces or if it contains spaces in any dimension.

Jim Kosloskey

email: jim.kosloskey@jim-kosloskey.com 29+ years Cloverleaf, 59 years IT - old fart.

Anonymous
      Participant

Manny,

What I’ve done in the past if a message comes in with a space in an HL7 field is to set a temp variable (in this case you could use @blank) to equal a space.  Then you can use that @blank in your IF statement.

Hope this helps…

Thomas G. Rioux

Mary Bodoh-Stone
      Participant

Hi,

I need to check if a field is null or contains 2 blanks (purposely put there).  I assigned a temp variable @2blanks to =”  ” or  =  <— 2 spaces here.

Then depending on if MyMod ne @2blanks ….do something  I get a tcl error no matter which way I try.

MESSAGE 1

[0:TEST] QDX_Tcl_SplitList({ ) failed: unmatched open brace in list

Internal XPM Tcl error

QDX_Tcl_SplitList failed:: unmatched open brace in list

Suggestions?  Thanks.

– Mary

Levy Lazarre
      Participant

Mary,

I was curious about your error, so I tried the second assignment:

Code:

I assigned a temp variable @2blanks  =  <— 2 spaces here.

I then tried an IF statement: IF Myfield ne @2blanks and it worked fine. There was no syntax error.

Tom Rioux
      Participant

Maybe the issue isn’t with your @2blanks variable but the “MyMod” that you are attempting to reference with your if.

Chris Williams
      Participant

The error being reported is with the argument you are passing to the proc  QDX_Tcl_SplitList. It would appear that it is a variable whose value resolves to “{“.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags