TCP PDL for XML

Homepage Clovertech Forums Cloverleaf TCP PDL for XML

• Creator
    Topic
    Wayne Hudson
    Participant

I’m trying to pass XML messages through Cloverleaf 6.2, across TCP connections.  All of the protocol choices I see seem to require some sort of stop & end control character.  Neither vendor is encapsulating the messages with control characters, and I’m struggling to write a PDL for this connection when I have the thread set to PROTOCOL:tcpip-pdl.

I tried using the threads as PROTOCOL:tcpip and set the Encapsulated type to USER with the XML <Event & </Event> tags.  Those seem to get consumed by the protocol and don’t continue with the message.

Is there documentation for writing a PDL that uses strings like XML tags to delimit the message rather than single control characters?

For example, this is how the messages start & end:
    <pre><?xml version=”1.0″ encoding=”utf-16″?>
    <Event xmlns:xsi=”http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance&#8221; xmlns:xsd=”http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema&#8221; version=”1.0″ id=”1879852954″ seq=”1b474857-4844-4d8b-9ab3-5369300ba11d”>

</Event></pre>
    … and this is how an Ack would come back:
    <pre><?xml version=”1.0″ encoding=”utf-8″?><EventResponse version=”1.0″ id=”1879852954″><Status>ACK</EventResponse></pre>

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Jim Kosloskey
      Participant

As far as I know what is provided in the Cloverleaf Doc is what there is for PDL.

Personally I would not attempt to use anything inside the message (any message) as a protocol delimiter.

In this case I would request the sending system to either utilize length encoding (which could be the fastest to code and is the fastest to execute) or the HL/7 MLP encapsulation.

Both could then be configured in the TCP/IP Protocol in Cloverleaf (depending on your release) without any PDL. But you could use PDL if the HL/7 MLP is deployed.

email: jim.kosloskey@jim-kosloskey.com 29+ years Cloverleaf, 59 years IT - old fart.

Charlie Bursell
      Participant

Are you sure the <pre> and </pre> tags are unique to the message.  If so it may be possible to write an old style PDL that would work but those tend to leak a lot of memory.

As Jim pointed out any message via TCP/IP must have unique delimiters otherwise how would you know where a message starts and ends since TCP/IP is a stream based protocol.  HL7, for example, uses 0B…1C.  Others use length encoding, etc. Even the serial messages had STX..ETX

Wayne Hudson
      Participant

Thanks for the responses.  I’ve been able to get both sides to use a start & stop sequence like HL7 MLP (i.e. start <0xb> & stop <0x1c><0xd>).  This will make my life in Cloverleaf much better.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags