Struggling with a variant concept

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf Struggling with a variant concept

• Creator
    Topic
    Lawrence Nelson
    Participant

I’ve been given a task (marching orders) of taking in an HL7 billing file with 3 message types (DFT,BAR,ORM) in each message with its own MSH – modifying it where needed – and then sending out the message relatively intact except for my changes.

MSH (BAR)

PID

GTI

MSH (DFT)

PID

PV1

FT1

MSH  (ORM)

PID  

PV1

BLG

I’ve made a variant so I can have multiple MSHs and allow for optional or repeats for iterations and it contains all the segments I need.

The xlate lets me apply it via reconfiguration – but it appears to me that the xlate – in the testing tool – is still looking at each MSH/message type as it goes along –   and is holding me to that msg type – and is appearing to me to be basically ignoring the variant.

I could RAW the message through but they are going to want things done to the message as we move forward,

and I’m not real excited about doing a bunch of TCL procs for those future changes to alter the message.

Thoughts on what I’m doing wrong or how I can get around this? I can’t break the message apart by each MSH for the downstream app.

Lawrence Nelson
    System Architect - MaineHealth IT

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Jim Kosloskey
      Participant

Assuming I understand your situation correctly here is what I would do:

Define a variant with the 3 Message/Event Types (BAR, DFT and ORM).

Then setup routing for each Message/Event Type as normal.

Use a separate Xlate for each Message/Event Type.

Assuming the file is properly terminated, the engine will pick up each message, determine the TrxID and route according to your configuration, and execute the appropriate Xlate.

email: jim.kosloskey@jim-kosloskey.com 29+ years Cloverleaf, 59 years IT - old fart.

Lawrence Nelson
      Participant

Apologies for posting this and then going into a long weekend!

In response though – what you are stating is not what I intended….

(it’s what I wish they wanted though)

I have to keep the message together as a single message.

So IN and OUT it will have to look like this

MSH (BAR)

PID

GTI

MSH (DFT)

PID

PV1

FT1

MSH  (ORM)

PID  

PV1

BLG

Lawrence Nelson

Keith McLeod
      Participant

Do you have specs on that?  HL7 says only one MSH segment per message and at the beginning of the message.  Or are you sending Batch? Meaning several messages in a single file with Batch Headers and Trailers?

Lawrence Nelson
      Participant

Batch is the best way to describe it. There isn’t a header/footer – but I’m willing to push back on that if there were – but still they want everything to stay in this format – together.

Lawrence Nelson

Lawrence Nelson
      Participant

OK – Let’s close this off topic for now. I don’t want to take up anyone’s time further.

You’ve all given me the assistance I need – which is to say I went back to them and told them they need to change we aren’t going to do it their way.

Lawrence Nelson

Keith McLeod
      Participant

I can only speculate here..

You may have to make your message type BAR.  Not sure if any of the segments repeat within the groupings…

{

MSH

PID

[PV1]

[GT1]

[FT1]

[BLG]

}

You would need to iterate from the beginning so you can uniquely address your MSH, PID, etc. Segments.

Lawrence Nelson
      Participant

Yes – I was on that path – I had a preproc that was changing everything to DFT

and I had the iterations and that all appeared to fire off (needed some clean work) – but for some reason, the translation was still throwing messages about not liking the segments that I was sneaking in via the variant.

Lawrence Nelson

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags