Soarian Clinicals inbound result with pointer/link to PDF?

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf Soarian Clinicals inbound result with pointer/link to PDF?

• Creator
    Topic
    Peter Heggie
    Participant

Does anyone know of a Soarian Clinicals shop that has successfully implemented inbound results with a pointer to a PDF, such that going into patient results and clicking on the link will bring up the PDF?

Or in Soarian Clinicals has been able to push in a result with a base64 encoded PDF which is then viewable in Clinicals?

And if so, was this on a hosted configuration?

I have found some documentation alluding to sending in an embedded PDF and I will play with that. I’m not sure which way is better – linking or embedding. (sounds like OLE!)

Peter Heggie

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Jim Kosloskey
      Participant

Today the general thinking is away from pointers in favor of embedding.  

There are a number of reasons for that and many of them make sense.

A down side to embedding is the increased size of the messages. But with modern computing power that is not frequently a big issue.

There are some specific rules in HL/7 for embedding (read the HL/7 standard for the release being used for the ED Data Type for more).

Something to watch out for is the desire of some vendors to Base64 encode each line of a PDF in say an OBX segment (or multiple OBX segments) then have the receiving system (or Cloverleaf) put it all back together. I have had issues with that approach and have directed the system that do that to place the entire Base64 encoded PDF in a single field with no issues (once they get it right).

I have done both inside Cloverleaf but not specifically with Soarian Clinicals.

email: jim.kosloskey@jim-kosloskey.com 29+ years Cloverleaf, 59 years IT - old fart.

Peter Heggie
      Participant

Thank you – I will try the embedding approach first. That certainly would make life easier. I have taken in embedded base64 documents but not gone the other way, so this should be fun.

Peter Heggie

Anonymous
      Inactive

Peter, I’ve never found one good document that explains the configuration for embedded pdf in Cerner. These uCern topics should give you enough information to get it working.

https://connect.ucern.com/message/4871394

https://connect.ucern.com/message/1028116

https://connect.ucern.com/thread/247111

Peter Heggie
      Participant

Thank you for putting together these links. I looked through these and got some good tips from them. Most of it concerned the Millenium system, while we have Soarian, and a lot of the advice and configuration does not transfer.

They mentioned Cloverleaf and a former size limitation that was overcome by specifying a size of -1. I’m not sure where that is specified.. Unless it was a HL7 variant definition of the OBX.5 field used in a Translator. I am not using a translator, and it does seem like the message is getting out to the Cerner OpenLink engine, which front-ends Soarian Clinicals (but this is before Messaging Services).

Our configuration is Cloverleaf -> OpenLink -> Messaging Services -> Soarian Clinicals.

We could get errors at any point but I looked at OpenLink and I’m seeing a successful output of the message. I’m not seeing an error in the SIEV, so I think it is making it past Messaging Services as well. So this points me to a configuration setting in Clinicals that is probably not right. We may need to update a service code configuration or something.

I think I have the OBX right or very close:

Code:

OBX|1|ED|PHILIPS WAVEFORM PDF encoded^^L||file_location^AP^PDF^Base64^JVBERi0x…..||||||P|

I’ll keep digging

Peter Heggie

Jim Kosloskey
      Participant

I am fairly confident the reference to -1 relates to an HL/7 variant specification for the OBX-5 field.

My limited experience with Soarian (while it was Siemens owned) was their documentation left a lot to be desired but I would hope what is there now would let you know if there is anything out of the ordinary they require for the ED Data Type.

Just a close check of your OBX-5 field looks correct to me. However that does not mean Soarian follows the standard. I had one Vendor who objected to any components in OBX-5 for an ED Type OBX as an example.

Good Luck!

email: jim.kosloskey@jim-kosloskey.com 29+ years Cloverleaf, 59 years IT - old fart.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Sorry Peter, that “Clinicals” went right over my head. We’re a Soarian Financials shop.

Have you looked at Cerner’s SC documentation?

If not, this is what I found:

https://wiki.cerner.com/pages/releaseview.action?pageId=1705684891

https://wiki.cerner.com/display/public/reference/Soarian+Clinicals+Configuration+-+Setting+Up+Interfaces

Peter Heggie
      Participant

Thank you – yes I looked at these pages. I am hopeful that the section which talks about configuring services, ‘findings’ and the interface tab for each, is what I am missing. I have reached out to our Clinicals IT analyst and am trying to get him to experiment.

Peter Heggie

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags