SMAT automatic cycle not working, "Cycling failed"

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf SMAT automatic cycle not working, "Cycling failed"

• Creator
    Topic
    Lawrence Williams
    Participant

We just upgraded from 5.7 to 6.1

We have chosen to not use the smatdb for now, sticking with the old msg/idx files for SMAT.

We use links in the process’ directories to point to an archive filesystem.

This is causing a problem for the 6.1 processes…. upon startup, the process appears to try and cycle the smat and seems to have a problem writing to the link directory SmatHistory.   If I remove the link and just let the process create the SmatHistory directory, the smat cycles as expected.

The error I see in the log is “Cycling failed for THREADNAME. Rolling files back …”

Anyone seen this before ?

Are there restrictions for creating soft links ?

AIX 6.1.0.0  CL 6.1

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Keith McLeod
      Participant

Mkae sure you have permissions on the actual destination where your soft links point to…

Lawrence Williams
      Participant

thanks for the suggestion… I just checked and hci has ownership and I used “777” to open up every directory at the destination.

No change..

Jerry Tilsley
      Participant

I have had similar issues.  The problem I found was that Cloverleaf does not support the use of soft links across mount points.  This was a downer for me and the way I wanted to do things, but for now I have to use scripts to move files across the mount points.

Thanks,

Jerry

P.S. — I’m using Cloverleaf 6.1 on Redhat 6.4

Lawrence Williams
      Participant

Strange… it works for the logfiles, just not the SMAT files.

I just verified by cycling the logfiles, using a softlink for LogHistory.

The softlink SmatHistory points to the exact same location as LogHistory, but the cycle fails.

Seems like a “BUG” to me.

Please submit your findings on Infor Xtreme. That would be valuable feedback for us.

-- Max Drown (Infor)

Lawrence Williams
      Participant

I have a ticket opened with all the information, thanks.

I have my workaround in place, I let CL create the SmatHistory directory under the process directory, then I create a symbolic link in the SmatHistory directory that points to my archive filesystem and I have a cron script job that cycles and moves all the files in SmatHistory.

It works…. but it would be nice if it worked as advertised, and it would be even nicer if they included a way to automate the cycling of SMAT files (like the logfiles).

In CIS 6.1, automatic Log and SMAT cycling is built-in and they work similar to each other. You have to configure each process with the file thresholds in the NetConfig/Process menu and then under Site Options configure Log History and SMAT History for the directory pruning. Apologies if you already knew this. Just making sure.

-- Max Drown (Infor)

Lawrence Williams
      Participant

Thanks for the help Max….

I saw the cycling radio button for Logs but not for SMAT files…. until your help!!    I’m now a happy camper 😉

One more question… the Log cycle under the Site Options is for ALL processes in the site, correct ?    Does the process Log cycle setting take precedence over the Site log cycle option ?

You have to configure the file thresholds for every process in every site. But the Site Options for pruning the directories applies site-wide (for every process in the site).

-- Max Drown (Infor)

Lawrence Williams
      Participant

Roger that…. I think I’ll leave my workaround script in place for now, since I would have to move the SMAT history files around anyway.

It would be nice if the SMAT cycling could be done site-wide and if they symbolic link ‘trick’ worked as advertised.

There is an AR to provide an easier way to replicate the process settings across all processes. It’s way too time consuming and prone to human error as it stands right now.

Good find on the symlink.

R&D hears stuff from me all the time, but hearing from the customer adds a lot of weight. So please do always submit your bugs and enhancement requests on Infor Xtreme.

-- Max Drown (Infor)

Lawrence Williams
      Participant

😀

Thanks again for your assistance, most helpful !

Alice Kazin
      Participant

I have Smat History configured in 6.1 with the Smat Database.   I’m trying to use “Maximum Age of SMAT files” equal to “1” Days.   I have Maximum Number of SMAT Files configured to “60” files.   I am using “Maximum SMAT Total Size=Unlimited”.   I am not getting any automatic Smat cycling.

Alice, you also need to set the process file-size thresholds under the NetConfig’s Process menu. Each process has to be configured. The process setting controls how big the file size will be when it is cycled, the Site Options Log/Smat History settings control how often the folders are pruned.

-- Max Drown (Infor)

John Douet
      Participant

I’d like clarification on the answer to Alice’s question, as the same ambiguity exists here as does in the documentation.  What I WANT to achieve is a midnight cycling, keeping a month (or two) of data. I don’t care how big the file gets during the day, I want each day in a self-contained file.  Using file size doesn’t help, because I have hundreds of threads, all with widely varying amounts of activity

We did this previously (CL 5.7 / AIX) with TCL scripts, but I’d like to know if I can achieve with just built-in tools now that we are on 6.1 on Win2008. TIA!

Currently, there is no way to cycle on a schedule, only on file size. This feature has been requested, and there is an AR for the change. However, it is much easier now with SMAT DB to search across multiple files. For example, you can easily search for Visit Number across every SMAT DB file in the site!

Also, remember that you have to configure the file thresholds for every process in every site. But the Site Options for pruning the directories applies site-wide (for every process in the site).

-- Max Drown (Infor)

Erik Mueller
      Participant

Hi,

I too am a little confused as to how it should work.

This is my configuration.

A. Network Monitor -> Options -> Site Options -> SMAT:

1. Correct. However, when you first make these changes, you must bounce the site (all of the processes and the daemons).

2. Not that I know of. But we are dealing with a 32-bit application, so I always try to work under the 2GB limit. We have introduced many fixes into Cloverleaf allowing it to work around this limit.

3. The Site Options control how the SmatHistory and LogHistory directories are pruned. If you add up the sizes of all of the files in SmatHistory, it will delete the oldest files once the total size of all of the files hits the number you have chosen. For SMAT files, I usually just stick with the age threshold, so the SmatHistory will keep the newest n days of data.

-- Max Drown (Infor)

Erik Mueller
      Participant

Thanks.

1. I did bounce everything. We even bounced the server, but still have SMAT DB files greater than 30,000KB. The files were under 27000KB before the server was bounced and are now 31000KB. It seems to cycle them when the process and monitor daemon are cycled.

2. SMAT DB files under 2GB were cycled when we bounced the process and monitor daemon, but we have some 2.2GB, 3GB and a 4.1GB file that have not been cycled.

3. Thanks for confirming. That’s what I thought it would do.

I will log an incident.

James Phetteplace
      Participant

I have read this thread a few times but  still trying to understand how log history works. I did a test to see if this works and it didn’t.

Do I need to enable both site level and process level log cycling for this to work?

For the site level we have

Max Number of Log Files – Unlimited

Max Logs total size – Unlimited

Will this allow the site directory to continue to grow in size? or the current active log file? I thought by selecting Unlimited it will just continue to add new files to the process directory with new log files for that process?

I also checked off Automatic Log Cycling for one process to see what would happen. Set it to 9999Kb. This file has grown way past that. I do not see a .old file in the process directory. My understanding with this checked off is that it will start a new file after it reaches 9999Kb and will rename the to .old? Is this correct?

Does the file get moved somewhere or  is this just not working?

I tried looking at the help file but it wasn

There are two components: site and process.

The site options controls the creation of the LogHistory and SmatHistory directories under the process directory AND keeps these directories pruned so the disk usage doesn’t grow forever. I started with 25 log files and 90 days for SMAT.

The process settings (NetConfig/Process Menu) control when each file in a process is cycled into the LogHistory and SmatHistory directories. I start with 10000 (10mb) for Logs and SMAT and then tweak as desired.

For the site changes, the entire site needs to be bounced, including the daemons.

The the process changes, the process needs to be bounced. And, unfortunately, you have to manually set the cycling for each new process.

If you need to keep historical SMAT data, then you need to use a 3rd party application to backup files in the SmatHistory directories.

-- Max Drown (Infor)

James Phetteplace
      Participant

Thanks Max for a quick reply, I bounced the process when I turned on Log Cycle for that process but it isn’t working.

I will open a ticket with Info.

Thank you for your help.

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags