Set up remote shell

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf Set up remote shell

• Creator
    Topic
    Davin Studer
    Participant

Does anyone know how to set up the shell window to work remotely?  I have turned on the Telnet service on the cloverleaf box and I can connect, however, it doesn’t seem that any of the environment variable are being loaded so I cannot run any of the hci… commands.  I am using a Windows 2003 server and Windows XP client.  Thanks.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Sam Craig
      Participant

You have to login to the telnet session as user hci.

Davin Studer
      Participant

Thanks a ton for the reply.

We don’t have a user called hci.  Do you mean hciuser?  I tried that user and was able to log in.  Then I tried to run mktclindex on the tclprocs folder to reindex the procs, and it didn’t work.  It works if I do this from the actual server.  So, I’m thinking the environment is still not totally set up.

Sam Craig
      Participant

We run the Cloverleaf server on an AIX system.

There is a user called hci that is setup on the server during Cloverleaf install.

When logging in as the hci user in AIX, there is a .profile file that runs and sets up the environment variables.

Here is a quote from the .profile file……

# This file is used to set up a per-user login environment.  Since this

# .profile is in the hci user’s home directory, it is used to set up the

# environment for the hci user.

Found this in the Windows system install instructions.

hciuser account

The hciuser account must be created before Cloverleaf

Davin Studer
      Participant

Yeah, I was able to log in with the hciuser user … it just seems the rest of the environment stuff is not being set when I log in.  Thanks for the help though.  

Anybody on a Windows Server platform have any experience with this?  Thanks.

Robert Kersemakers
      Participant

How about starting the Cloverleaf IDE from the workstation, then under ‘Runtime’ click on ‘Shell Window’ to open a shell window. Should work from there.

Zuyderland Medisch Centrum; Heerlen/Sittard; The Netherlands

Davin Studer
      Participant

Um, that is what I am referring to.  On a remote client the shell doesn’t set up all th environment stuff needed to work correctly.  On the server it works fine, but I would rather not have to go to the server every time I need to do something through the shell.  Is there anybody out there working with a windows Cloverleaf server that knows how to set this up correctly?

Jeff Anderson
      Participant

From Microsofts Tech site (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730627%28WS.10%29.aspx):

To allow Telnet Client to send an environment variable

Open Registry Editor. Click Start, and then type regedit in the Start Search box.

If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.

In the navigation pane, open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoft.

If the key TelnetClient does not exist, then create it. To do so, right-click Microsoft, then click New, and then click Key.

Type TelnetClient as the name of the new key.

Right-click TelnetClient, click New, and then click Multi-String Value.

Type AllowedEnvVariables as the name of the new entry.

In the details pane, double-click the new AllowedEnvVariables name.

In the Edit Multi-String dialog box, type the names of the environment variables that the Telnet server must be able to query on this client. Type each variable name on a new line.

Click OK to save your completed list.

Robert Kersemakers
      Participant

Ah ok, I thought you were trying a telnet session from a command prompt. I now understand the problem: you can open a shell window from the IDE on the server, but not from IDE on the workstation.

We have a small Windows server with CL5.6 on it and we always work from the server. I have installed the 5.6 client on a Win XP workstation to run the IDE from there. When starting a shel window from the workstation, a Telnet-box appears, but disappears again immediately.

So it doesn’t work for me either. But my problem is that I am not allowed to telnet to this windows server. When I try to telnet from a command prompt on the workstation, I get a ‘Can’t connect’ error message. And I’m not able to change this, as this will be a security issue.

Weird thing is, that if you run a command prompt on the server, you can’t invoke hci-commands as well, even though you’re logged on as hciuser. You will need to start a shell window in the IDE for this to work; it sets a lot of variables that way.

Maybe you can try to add the required variables to the environment of hciuser.

Zuyderland Medisch Centrum; Heerlen/Sittard; The Netherlands

Ronald Ortiz
      Participant

Was this issue ever resolved?  I’m on a Windows 2008 R2 Standard server and would like to have this setup.

Currently, when I click on the Shell Window in the IDE it will prompt me to enter my user ID/password.  Our server is using HCIUSER/*******.  I can telnet into the server but the environment variables aren’t automatically set.  I’d have to manually type this in every time.

Davin Studer
      Participant

Nope.  I never got it resolved.

Charlie Bursell
      Participant
      Davin Studer
      Participant

Ok, that helps somewhat but really I could do this by just running a batch file after connecting. The real kicker is that there are a SLEW of environment variables to set to get it to actually work. That is the real issue.

Terry Kellum
      Participant

Easy fix: Install Linux   😀

(I really just couldn’t help myself.  I hereby submit myself for noodle-whipping!)

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi,

Maybe this will help?

Code:

cd ITPSquovadxqdx5.3integratortest_prod
      call setroot c:ITPSquovadxqdx5.3integrator test_prod
      # test_prod is the thread folder name
      hciprocstatus

I use it, when I want to perform a hci command from a Windows command line (but on the QDX server).

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags