set up pf a multi user site

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf set up pf a multi user site

• Creator
    Topic
    Rick Pritchett
    Participant

I am reaching out to everyone to find out how to set up multiple users for Cloverleaf in an AIX environment.  It has bee a long time since I have had to set up a user.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Charlie Bursell
      Participant

What OS?

If Unix, make sure all are members of the staff group and all have same permissions

Richard Hart
      Participant

Hi Rick.

We are on linux (migrated from AIX) and work on the server.

We login to the server with our own account and use ‘sudo’ to change user to the code owner (hci) or runtime owner (hcimgr).

i.e.

sudo su – hci

or

sudo su – hcimgr

We ensure that our local accounts are in the same *nix group as the ‘hci*’ accounts.

Rob Lindsey
      Participant

The AIX smit (smitty users) should walk you through everything you need to setup a user.  Of course I would view the hci user to make sure you choose the right groups and privs.

Rob

Alice Kazin
      Participant

Make sure “hci” owns all the Cloverleaf files.   We’ve had issues with the testing tool if one of the users (not hci) owns the Cloverleaf file.

David Barr
      Participant

Does anyone have more detailed instructions on how to set up sudo to access the hci account? I don’t want to give root access to all users, so the “sudo su – hci” command wouldn’t work. I was thinking of putting this in the sudoers file:

%staff    ALL=(hci) NOPASSWD: ALL

This would allow anyone in the staff group to login as hci.

The next problem that I have is that the .profile for the hci account isn’t being run. I’m trying to use “sudo -s -H -u hci” from my regular account. Our hci account uses “bash” as the login shell, and I think that bash isn’t reading the profile because it doesn’t think that it is being run as a login shell.

David Barr
      Participant

I think I figured out the .profile part: I need to run “sudo -i -u hci”.

Rob Lindsey
      Participant

We have everyone login to the *nix server as their own account and then use:

su – hci

that forces the *nix system to use the .profile of the hci user and not reference anything from the originating user.

The one issue doing this is that if you use the history commands, you can pull up commands that were done by other users.  We had someone pull up a remove command and run it in the wrong directory.  So I figured out a way to have each user that “su’s” to the hci account have their own history file.

Rob

Elisha Gould
      Participant

We use the following to the .profile file for hci to ensure each user has their own history in Linux:

Code:

MYUSER=`who am i | awk ‘{print $1}’`
      export HISTFILE=$HOME/.sh_history_$MYUSER

David Barr
      Participant

Rob Lindsey wrote:

su – hci

that forces the *nix system to use the .profile of the hci user and not reference anything from the originating user.

Do they have to type in the hci password? What prevents them from logging in as hci directly?

Also the “-i” option on sudo clears out the environment from the original user.

aaron kaufman-moore
      Participant

David Barr wrote:

Rob Lindsey wrote:

su – hci

Do they have to type in the hci password? What prevents them from logging in as hci directly?

Also the “-i” option on sudo clears out the environment from the original user.

In our setup (AIX 6.1), the users do need to enter the hci password when they su up to the hci username.  We prevent them from logging in as hci directly by adding the following lines to /etc/ssh/sshd_config:

Match User hci

PasswordAuthentication no

That will not allow hci to login with a password, but still allow scripts which can handle key-file authentication (think sftp) to still work as an hci user.  That has satisfied our security team…so far

David Barr
      Participant

aaron kaufman-moore wrote:

We prevent them from logging in as hci directly by adding the following lines to /etc/ssh/sshd_config:

Match User hci

PasswordAuthentication no

Yeah, I looked at doing that as well, but our version of SSHD (4.3p2) is too old and doesn’t support the Match keyword. Thanks for your suggestions.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags