Restrict Remote User Commands to a single command

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Global Monitor Global Monitor Restrict Remote User Commands to a single command

• Creator
    Topic
    Shane Farney
    Participant

I have a couple scripts that would be useful to some interface users and my thought is to get them access to them somehow in Global Monitor.  What I know will work is the Remote User Commands widget, but I don’t want to let the user have access to all of our other Cloverleaf “stuff” and have something bad happen if they ran anything other than a handful of select scripts.

Here’s an example: we have a shell script that takes in two arguments – one is a table name, the other your email address.  Running that command will email you a comma separated list of the values in the table.

Is it possible to restrict Remote User Commands to a specific set of commands?  If not, how else could this be done?

THANKS!!!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Peter Heggie
      Participant

If you or someone there is good at Java coding, I think the GM code API provides a userid context. I need to double check that. You could verify which users are entering a command and if they have the appropriate permissions. I have seen Java programs that query Windows Active Directory to check group memberships, so I know it is possible.

I’m not sure how you could limit the commands entered in the command window without coding something somewhere.

You can put widgets in certain Views, and then limit the Views to certain users. But once a user has access to the widget, anything can be typed in there.

Peter Heggie

Peter Heggie
      Participant

Part of the context available to a Java Plug-In is the username. There is also an attribute called ‘permissions’ but I don’t know what that is.

Peter Heggie

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Global Monitor’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags