Remote Desktop – GUI Unbearably Slow

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf Remote Desktop – GUI Unbearably Slow

• Creator
    Topic

What would cause the 5.2.1 GUI’s (and possibly 5.4 and 5.5) to be extremely slow while running them on a Remote Desktop Connection/VPN session?

-- Max Drown (Infor)

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Jim Kosloskey
      Participant

Max,

It could be the VPN itself.

I work almost exclusively via VPN and when they make a bad adjustment, I can certainly tell.

Also, if the VPN is just being rolled out it may be they cannot keep the capacity up with the demand.

There are also some settings on the Cloverleaf(R) client (I don’t recall the settings but most of them have been discussed on this forum) which can have an effect on the GUIs. In particular I recall there is a setting which determines if log files are pre loaded or are just referenced when called for – I think that is correct.

Jim Kosloskey

email: jim.kosloskey@jim-kosloskey.com 29+ years Cloverleaf, 59 years IT - old fart.

Evey other piece of software I use runs well on the RDC/VPN connection. Its just the Cloverleaf GUI’s that run so slow. I mean so slow that it’s literally click wait a few minutes, click wait, etc.

-- Max Drown (Infor)

Rick Brown
      Participant

Since you are 5.2.1 you may try adding the following in your client.ini on the PC that runs the client.

I believe the file is located in the c:quovadxqdx5.2.1integratorclient directory.

[general]

netmon_auto_load_logs=false

This is the setting that Jim is referring to.  In 5.4 and above I believe this is set to off by default.

Russ Ross
      Participant

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/” class=”bbcode_url”>http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

If your speeds are at least 1.5 M both ways then let’s get together and I will have you try launching the IDE on my desktop at work using remote desktop via the VPN to see if it is sluggish for you.

Russ Ross
      RussRoss318@gmail.com

Russ, I have an 8mb/1mb cable modem (1mb upload) which is a relatively fast connection. I do not experience slowness on any other application running on my RDC including applications likes Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Word, putty, Groupwise, etc.

I took the same approach as you in installing the client locally on my PC at home. However, when working in the client I lose site of my RDC, so I miss out on email and messenger messages (which is not always a bad thing 🙂.

-- Max Drown (Infor)

Bob Richardson
      Participant

Greetings,

Folks, we have a formal case assigned to us from Quovadx to speed up the IDE in general – the actual number alludes me at the moment.  We too suffer the indiginities of dead slow or near impossible response over VPN.

Ok… what we did was create a crude VB (visual basic) wrapper that invokes the “unsupported” guis in folder C:quovadxqdx5.3integratorclguibinunsupported (we are running Integrator 5.3).

This works fine – crude but effective.  We load this vb.exe on our home PCs and company laptops/PCs.

Enjoy.

Joe Halbrook
      Participant

Bob, what does the VB wrapper buy you?

Bob Richardson
      Participant

Greetings,

The VB wrapper groups the unsupported modules into a simple

executable shell that we can port around (like to our home PCs).

It organizes those modules that we use and without having to navigate to the folder.  Granted: we lose the behind the scenes shared memory, that is, you fire up say the translate gui but when going to the tester gui you must populate all of the normally given fields like translate name.  Each gui is standalone here.

But then response is fast – even over our VPN.

I will ask our group about sharing this VB guy if anyone is interested in giving it a workout.  Let me know.

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks.

Scott Lee
      Participant

I use the unsupported hcinetconfig.exe sometimes to copy threads from one site to another.  I used to be able to do that in 3.8.1 but in 5.5 I seem to have lost that ability in the IDE.  

Interesting that you are using it to speed up work over the VPN.  I will try that also.

Have you had any trouble with the unsupported apps not releasing the lock on the netconfig?  Whenever I use it, the next time I open that site wth either the unsupported version or the IDE, it tells me that I already have it locked and asks me if I want to break the lock.  Breaking the lock seems to have no ill affects… I was just wondering if others see the same issue.

Scott

Bob Richardson
      Participant

Scott and other folks,

We have the same experience in that locks are left when the gui session ends.  Usually it seems to be an issue when our sessions end without a clean shutdown.  Our shop has a policy of shutting down our PCs for weekly maintenance – if people leave their guis running and leave for the day, a common practice here, then those gui sessions are dropped abruptly.

Short answer:  yes we experience lock problems too.

Enjoy.

Joe and I would be interested in trying the vb wrapper.

-- Max Drown (Infor)

Russ Ross
      Participant

I was aware of the unsupported GUI’s as an alternative way to get work done if need be.

It had been so long since I used them I had almost forgotten about them.

I did a test at work today by running hciaccess& in an X-term on our Cloverleaf test server.

I was able to use the IDE like I would from my desktop PC, with the main difference being I was running if from within an X-window environment like we did back in the 3.5.5 days and earlier.

The next step will be for me to do this same test from home using the VPN to seee how responsive it is when coming through our VPN.

I expect not to see the slowness since my X-windows runs reasonably fast from home via the VPN.

Having said that, I believe I had been told that it is not a good idea to run the client and server on the same machine at the same time.

Does anyone recall having heard anything along those lines.

Russ Ross
      RussRoss318@gmail.com

Russ Ross
      Participant

I also did another test by creating a shourtcut to my desktop folder

C:quovadxqdx5.2integratorclguibinunsupported

then double clicking on one of utilities of choice to launch it like

hcinetmonitor.exe

and that seemed to launch the GUI netmonitor without needing a VB wrapper.

I will also test this from home via the VPN to see if the unsupported GUI’s is more responsive while using remote desktop via VPN.

I’m hopefull I will see a noticeable improvement in the responsiveness as seen by other clovertech posters.

PS:  I too see bogus IDE lock messages so often even with the supported GUI I don’t even consider the warnings of any use.  I agree that the bogus warnings need to be eliminated so we can quit ignoring them and know they are real.

Russ Ross
      RussRoss318@gmail.com

Bob Richardson
      Participant

Greetings,

Just to refresh here:  the VB wrapper is just a convenience.  No problems in doing a shortcut to the unsupported.  However, we do remote desktop via VPN and there is a significant drag in running the guis.

I use remote desktop mostly to get to my shared folders, Outlook mail,

and other apps that are work based only (not on my home PC).

Running the unsupported guis (whether wrapper or no) from my home PC strictly over our VPN is fast indeed.

And yes I do recall caveats about running the client on the host:  something about being a core hog for resources which we experienced back on 3.8.1P Rev4.

Have fun.

BobR

Bob Moriarty
      Participant

We had unacceptable GUI slowness after moving our Test machine from Jacksonville to Rochester, MN. No VPN involved here, just a WAN.

The eventual solution was to run the client on a Citrix server in Rochester. GUI performance is quite snappy now. I think Citrix is much more bandwidth efficient than Java. (But I never counted, timed nor measured the size of the packets before or after.)

Kevin Kinnell
      Participant

The remote gui is essentially useless to us–I use a set of interactive-tcl procs and hcicmd to get things done remotely.  Normally I’m not trying to work on a thread configuration unless I have a fast X connection to the server anyway.

There’s a lot to be said for a text-only interface: mainly “boy oh boy is it fast.”

Code:

tcl [~] ploop [kk::threadsWith ERRORCNT != 0]
      hmi_ob 3
      connect_adt_ob 1
      tcl [~] shw hmi_ob

Fri Apr 25 10:18:06 CDT 2008

[— hmi_ob — – – – – – – – – – -]
             ALIVE : True
       LASTEXTRACT : Fri Apr 25 10:18:02 CDT 2008
        LASTUPDATE : Fri Apr 25 10:17:58 CDT 2008
             START : Fri Apr 11 14:58:11 CDT 2008
           PSTATUS : up
         PLASTREAD : Fri Apr 25 10:17:52 CDT 2008
        PLASTWRITE : Fri Apr 25 10:17:52 CDT 2008
          ERRORCNT : 3
            MSGSIN : 1888
           MSGSOUT : 1888
           BYTESIN : 258019
          BYTESOUT : 2390547
         OBLATENCY : 2574.987
        TOTLATENCY : 3253.883
       INTERTHREAD :
                   NAME : icc_rad_ib
                  NRCVD : 13
                TIMEONQ : 4.898
             TOTLATENCY : 12.031

NAME : plus_ib
                  NRCVD : 1775
                TIMEONQ : 2006.119
             TOTLATENCY : 3190.037

NAME : misys_es_ib
                  NRCVD : 100
                TIMEONQ : 21.749
             TOTLATENCY : 51.815

*>bang!<*  I'm in, I looked, I'm out.  Even if the gui was pretty fast it I'd still be waiting.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags