Referencing a list in an "if" statement in an xlat

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf Referencing a list in an "if" statement in an xlat

• Creator
    Topic
    Tom Arrowsmith
    Participant

I’ve been meaning to ask this for some time now… in an xlate, is there a way to avoid having to mention the field over and over again when using the “&&” or “||” operators?

For instance, I am used to having to do the following:

If  ~1(0).PRA(0).#3(0).[0] eq=9 ||  ~1(0).PRA(0).#3(0).[0] eq=D ||  ~1(0).PRA(0).#3(0).[0] eq=G ||  ~1(0).PRA(0).#3(0).[0] eq=H ||  ~1(0).PRA(0).#3(0).[0] eq=J ||  ~1(0).PRA(0).#3(0).[0] eq=K ||  ~1(0).PRA(0).#3(0).[0] eq=M ||  ~1(0).PRA(0).#3(0).[0] eq=N || ~1(0).PRA(0).#3(0).[0] eq=O || ~1(0).PRA(0).#3(0).[0] eq=P  

then do….

Is there a way to cut down on the typing here?

I’m used to things like Crystal where you can say if value is IN {9, D, G, H, J, K, M, N, O, P} then do…..

thanks for any advice…..

tom

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Chris Williams
      Participant

Several options come to mind:

(1) In later CL versions, the IF statement has the string operator “ct” for “Contains”.

(2) If you’re just concerned about the keystrokes, you could copy the field reference to an @variable and use that instead.

(3) You could do some tcl with [lcontain list element] before your IF to see if conditions are met and put the result (0 or 1) into an @variable and use that in your IF statement.

Jim Kosloskey
      Participant

How about using a lookup table?

email: jim.kosloskey@jim-kosloskey.com 29+ years Cloverleaf, 59 years IT - old fart.

Rehman Masood
      Participant

Jim Kosloskey wrote:

How about using a lookup table?

+1. I was going to suggest the same thing.

I’d do it in tcl.

-- Max Drown (Infor)

ian.smith
      Participant

Chris Williams wrote:

Several options come to mind:

(1) In later CL versions, the IF statement has the string operator “ct” for “Contains”.

(2) If you’re just concerned about the keystrokes, you could copy the field reference to an @variable and use that instead.

(3) You could do some tcl with [lcontain list element] before your IF to see if conditions are met and put the result (0 or 1) into an @variable and use that in your IF statement.

To elaborate on Chris’s options:

COPY

Source: =9 D G H J K M N O P

Destination: @temp_var

IF

@temp_var ct ~1(0).PRA(0).#3(0).[0]

Jim Beall
      Participant

I need to check PR1.18 and if it’s one of five values do the same thing.  If I understand this right, instead of doing a bunch of “ors” I could do this:

COPY

Source: =ED OPS OBV CLI QER

Destination: @temp_var

IF

@temp_var ct ~0(0).PV1(0).00148(0)

Just want to confirm because the syntax seems almost backwards to me.  Thanks

Chris Williams
      Participant

Sounds right to me.

IF contains

Jim Beall
      Participant

I ended up going back to multiple OR’s.  The value OP returned true for the variable containing ED OPS OBV CLI QER which I didn’t want.  I assume it did that because it matched the first two letters in OPS – or maybe I implemented it incorrectly?  Still good to know though; this will come in handy in the future.  Thanks!

Chris Williams
      Participant

We probably should have mentioned that. The ct operator looks for a pattern that matches anywhere in the string on the left side of the equation, similar to tcl’s [string first]. It is not comparable to [lcontain] which matches on list-elements. You can resolve the issue you encountered by using separators in the string of all your choices and also use them along with the item you are testing for to get a more exact match.

Using your example, you could change the left side to “.ED.OPS.OBV.CLI.QER.” and add the separator character both before and after the right side item. “.OP.” to avoid matching on substrings.

Ian Morris
      Participant

Jim Beall wrote:

I need to check PR1.18 and if it’s one of five values do the same thing.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags