problem with alert

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf problem with alert

• Creator
    Topic
    Ray Mullen
    Participant

Hi I am having a problem setting up an alert.

We have a FTP thread that intermittently goes into an error status. As a temporary fix, i am tryying to set up an alert that will stop and restart the thread depending on the status.

I have tried lots of different combinations but just cant get an alert to fire.

Here are the settings of my latest try (its only a test) i am checking if thread is “opening” just stop the thread , . I have stopped the daemon and restarted with the alert file in the paramater but still to no avail.i am probably leaving something simple out. Any help would be great .

i have tried opening without the quotes also.

Thanks in advance.

VALUE status} {SOURCE lab_to_ocm} {MODE actual} {WITH -1} {COMP {== {“opening”}}} {FOR {nsec 10}} {WINDOW {* * * * * *}} {HOST {}} {ACTION {{exec {hcicmd  -p results -c “lab_to_ocm pstop”}}}}

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      James Cobane
      Participant

Ray,

Based on what you stated, I would configure an alert based on the ‘protocol status’ == error, and then set the ‘Action’ to ‘exec hcicmd -p results -c “lab_to_ocm pstop”;hcicmd -p results -c “lab_to_ocm pstart” ‘

This will run the stop, and then a start of the thread when the protocol status goes to ‘error’.

Hope this helps.

Jim Cobane

Henry Ford Health

Ray Mullen
      Participant

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the reply.

I was going to put it as error when i got it to work, but to get the alert to fire and to check if it was working i was just trying it out with opening..e.g I bring the thread up and then pull the api connecting to the thread to make it go into an opening state. I then wait the amount of time but  unfortunately it never seems to want to fire up. Am I leaving something out in the alert. I have stopped the daemon and inserted the new alert file and it says its starts ok. Is there any other process i need to do.

Thanks

Julie Kimmel
      Participant

try using this as your exec string:

cmd.exe /c hcicmd  -p results -c “lab_to_ocm pstop”

James Cobane
      Participant

Ray,

When you are configuring the alert, are you using the drop-downs to select the protocol status?  Based on your e-mail, it sounds like you may be keying-in the value ‘opening’.  Try selecting it from the drop-down via the ‘List’ button.  Also try changing the ‘Source Count’ from ‘all’ to ‘any’, just for laughs.

Are you adding this to the default.alrt, or a different .alrt file that you are then invoking?

Good Luck.

Jim Cobane

Henry Ford Health

Ray Mullen
      Participant

Hi Jim / Julie ,

Thanks a million for both your help.  I had 2 things wrong , I had the alert setup as thread status rather than protocol and you were right jim I had typed in opening rather than selecting from list because the option didnt appear if alert type was thread. And thanks also to Julie the alert only fired when i put the cmd.exe /c in front of the hcicmd.  

Thanks again for both of you for your help. Much appreciated.

Ray

Rentian Huang
      Participant

Ray, can you post the final alert that works for you here?

Thanks!

Ray Mullen
      Participant

Hi Rentian,

Here is the alert that finally worked for me. I have only tested it with opening so far but that worked absolutely fine. Rather than stopping the thread , i stopped the process and restarted it because there are only 2 threads in this process and the threads are set to auto start.  I have replaced the command with a script but julies cmd.exe /c works fine also.

{VALUE pstat} {SOURCE ae_to_pims} {MODE actual} {WITH -1} {COMP {== error}} {FOR {nmin 5}} {WINDOW {* * * * * *}} {HOST {}} {ACTION {{exec {y:\startup\restart_ftp.cmd}}}}

and here is the script.

:: Stop the FTP Process

set ftplog=y:startupftplog.log

echo.  1>>  %ftplog% 2>&1

echo.  1>>  %ftplog% 2>&1

call setroot y:quovadxqdx5.2integrator production  1>>  %ftplog% 2>&1

call setsite production 1>>  %ftplog% 2>&1

echo About to stop FTP Process  1>>  %ftplog% 2>&1

hcienginestop -p ftp 1>>  %ftplog% 2>&1

echo FTP Shutdown Completed  1>>  %ftplog% 2>&1

Wait 8

hcienginerun -p ftp 1>>  %ftplog% 2>&1

echo “ftp startup completed” 1>> %ftplog% 2>&1

I have just outputted to a simple log so i can see quickly if it has kicked in.

Steven Siegfried
      Participant

Would changing the Source Count to ‘at least’ 1 in a pstat alert help to determine if the alert is a false positive?  E.G. The outbound thread goes from up and green to opening but the the inbound thread wasn’t sending any messages.

James Cobane wrote:

Ray,

When you are configuring the alert, are you using the drop-downs to select the protocol status?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags