priority

• Creator
    Topic
    Todd Yingling
    Participant

Hello all,

What queues really look at the priority of the msg?  

I have an OB protocol thread that receives ADT and ORM msgs from different IB protocol threads.  I set the ORM msg’s priority to a value lower than the ADT in the pre-xlate proc (ADT=5120, ORM = 5000).

The reason being, when the target system is down, the OB protocol thread will queue up ADT and ORM msgs.  I want the ADT to be sent outbound before the ORM msgs when the target system is back up.

This isn’t working as I hoped it would.  

Thanks,

Todd

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Jim Kosloskey
      Participant

Todd,

Do you have a single destination thread or are the two Message Types arriving over different destination threads.

I suspect the issue you are trying to resolve is Orders being rejected because the patient has not yet been admitted is this correct?

If so, what has resolved that issue for me in the past is to check with the receiving system vendor to see if they are capable of doing a mini-registration upon receipt of an order for which they have no Patient information (the essential information is typically in the Order message). If they can that usually resolves the issue.

Another tact is if the receveing system vendor has a suspense queueing capability for Orders without Patient information (I don’t recall many with that capability).

When the ADT comes back up, the rest of the information is filled in.

Many vendors have that ability but either the field person does not know it or they don’t configure for that unless the customer asks.

It can’t hurt to ask.

email: jim.kosloskey@jim-kosloskey.com 29+ years Cloverleaf, 59 years IT - old fart.

Todd Yingling
      Participant

Jim,

That’s exactly right; that’s the issue.

We’ve asked the vendor about creating a mini-reg from the ORM msg, but, of course, they said they didn’t have that option.  Before we escalated the issue, I wanted to see how the priority option worked in Cloverleaf.

Thanks,

Todd

Jim Kosloskey
      Participant

Todd,

Do you have two outbound threads, one for ADT and one for Orders?

email: jim.kosloskey@jim-kosloskey.com 29+ years Cloverleaf, 59 years IT - old fart.

Todd Yingling
      Participant

Jim,

No, only one outbound thread.  We have two inbound threads feeding one outbound thread.  

-Todd

Richard Hart
      Participant

Hi Todd.

We use priority on a few of our Cloverleaf sites, but this is set on the inbound threads.

Assuming that there is a queue on the outbound thread a message with higher priority will be placed on the outbound thread ahead of messages on a lower priority.

I don’t believe that setting outbound priority will have any effect on delivery

Todd Yingling
      Participant

Thank you for your replies.

I think we’re going to escalate the issue with our vendor.  Hopefully, they can meet our needs with a mini-reg from an ORM msg.

Thanks again,

Todd

Rob Abbott
      Keymaster

To clarify, ALL queues look at the priority when the message is added to the queue.   A higher number means the message will go to the head of the queue.  A lower number means the message will go to the tail of the queue.

Rob Abbott
      Cloverleaf Emeritus

Craig Weldy
      Participant

Todd,

Craig Weldy
      Senior Interface Analyst
      Beacon Health System
      South Bend, In, 46615

Todd Yingling
      Participant

Hello,

Thanks again for all the replies.  

I just got this to work.

My scenario is set during downtime.  When our down stream system is down, ADT and ORM msgs will queue in our outbound thread.  We want the ADT to process before the ORM so I lower the ORM priority value.

When I first tested, I mimicked a down system by bringing the outbound thread in Cloverleaf down.  This is when I had issues.

When I brought down the system’s side and had Cloverleaf’s side up, but not connected, the priority worked.

Thanks again,

Todd

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags