Potential issues implementing Master site

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf Potential issues implementing Master site

• Creator
    Topic
    Gretchen Macdowall
    Participant

We are considering setting up a Master site on an existing Cloverleaf server (5.8 AIX). The initial aim would be to share tables, but other file types could be added down the road.

I read the doc and it seems like it would not affect existing running Prod interfaces b/c even if they did have a copy of a table with the same name as a master table, the local copy would be used so there would be no change. Has anybody done this on an existing Prod installation?

From what I’ve read in the Clovertech archives you should restart the server after setting the Master site to make sure shared items are visible to non-master sites. Any other precautions?

After establishing a Master site, if you link to a master table on a non-master site and then you update the table on the master, does the next lookup from a running non-master site automatically use the updated table? Unclear as to whether tables are loaded into the process or remain external. I understand that the process would need to be recycled for tcls or xlates that changed.

Finally, we are going to upgrade to 6.0 in a few months. Has anyone had problems specifically with their Master after an upgrade. If so, then I guess we’d probably wait to implement until after 6.0.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Steve Carter
      Participant

Gretchen,

We started using the master site several years ago on 5.7 (AIX).  It was applied to existing installation with no issues.  You are correct that objects (scripts, tables, xlates, etc.) at the site level will take precedence over master site.

There’s no need to restart the server to make master site objects visible (aka appear in the GUI) to the other sites.  You just need to make sure you update the rootInfo file (located in $HCIROOT) with the name of your master site:

mastersite=masterSiteName

The same rules apply when updating an object in the master site just as they do in an existing site.  You must bounce, reload, or purge cache depending on what is being changed.

I haven’t experienced any issues with the master site after an upgrade.  It gets copied just like any other site.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Gretchen Macdowall
      Participant

That is good news. Thanks!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags