performance issue with pdl-tcpip

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Tcl Library performance issue with pdl-tcpip

• Creator
    Topic

Hi ,

I have a simple route with two threads.

The first thread takes incoming messages using pdl-tcpip protocol .A tcl in the incoming thread sends back an ACK and forwards the message to the second thread.This is a fixed format message and not a HL7.

The second thread connects to an ftp server and writes the incoming message to the server.

I am having performance issues.

I am logging the timestamps and the processing is at the rate of 5 incoming messages/sec when i have both the threads running.

I am seeing that the messages are coming into the incoming thread at the rate of 5 msg/sec.

If i kill the second thread and have only the first thread running.i can see all the messages coming into the first thread at about the same time.

I am new to CCG and would appreciate any pointers as to improving the performace since we are expecting the processing to be at 100 messages/sec.

My TCL for sending back an ack looks very similar to the HL7_Raw_Ack provided in the samples.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Charlie Bursell
      Participant

Is your FTP conection a persistent connection? There is a lot of overhead associated with FTP.  Try putting the threads in different processes.

You say your aCAK proc is a lot like hl7Raw_ack .  Why not just use hl7Raw_ack?

I put them in two different processes.It did not improve the performace significantly but i can see that the first thread is receiving the messages very fast from the sender.The thread that is ftping the messages is the bottleneck since that is sending them one message at a time to the ftp server.Is there a way i can multithread the ftp thread?

Please let me know.

Charlie Bursell
      Participant

You cannot multithread the FTP protocol driver.  If done in Tcl you can have that run in a sub-thread

Are you sure you have a persistent FTP connection?  Are you transferring large files?  It could be that the FTP host is busy and slow.

Put a sniffer on it to see what is really happening on the wire

It is a persistent FTP Connection .

Is the fileset-local single threaded?

We currently write each message on the ftp server.

An alternative we are thinking of is to write all the messages to the local file system and then transfer the files to the ftp server at one time.This will reduce the number of writes on the ftp server.

If i use a fileset-local on the receiving side,can i multi thread on this?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Tcl Library’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags