passing a filename from an inbound thread to an outbound

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf passing a filename from an inbound thread to an outbound

• Creator
    Topic
    John Bonnie
    Participant

hello all,

I’m looking for a way to pass parameters from an inbound thread to an outbound thread.  For this particular scenairo I need to pass a filename from an inbound thread to an outbound thread.

The inbound thread is a fileset local thread that scans a folder looking for a file.  When it sees the file and its size is stabilized the thread grabs it and xlates each line sending it to an outbound thread.  The outbound thread is a fileset local and it just drops the xlated file into a different folder where the external app can use it.

I have the file name in the inbound thread.  Where do I put this filename so the outbound thread can get it and use it to name the outbound file?

Thanks

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      James Cobane
      Participant

John,

You can pass this information along in the USERDATA meta data field.  Check out the message extensions (msgmetaget, msgmetaset, etc.) in the documentation.

Hope this helps.

Jim Cobane

Henry Ford Health

John Bonnie
      Participant

I’m putting the filename in the USERDATA slot in the metadata in my inbound thread.  In my outbound thread the message id is different.  Is there a pointer back to the original message somewhere?

Jim Kosloskey
      Participant

In the Outbound UPoC use the message’s metadata DRIVERCTL.FILENAME value, strip the file name out (it contains a full path) and set the message’s metadata DRIVERCTL.FILESET.OBFILE value to file name from the stripped down FILENAME.

If you want a reusable proc that does this which you can just plug in email me and I will send it to you.

email: jim.kosloskey@jim-kosloskey.com 29+ years Cloverleaf, 59 years IT - old fart.

Charlie Bursell
      Participant

I am confused.  If you want the file name what would message ID be used for?

In any case the original message ID is also part of the meta data

As Jim said, if the IB protocol is fileset the file name will be there as he stated.

John Bonnie
      Participant

Thanks Jim I got that.

John Bonnie
      Participant

Charlie is the original message id in SOURCEMID in the metadata?  If so what are the tcl / cloverleaf extension commands to access the metatata from the original message id?  I dont think doing a msgdump on the value in the NUM field of SOURCEMID will work.

Charlie Bursell
      Participant

As I said in my response to your e-mail.  Let us know what you are trying to do here and we may be more help

Russ Ross
      Participant

I had heard about user metadata for years on cloverlech without understadning it enough to make use of it.

Finally with the help of Jim Kosloskey, I wrote some procs to utilize user metadata to pass information from the xlate to the outbound thread it was routed to.

Here is a URL with some details to help visualize an understanding of user metatdata:

<a href="http://clovertech.infor.com/viewtopic.php?t=1367&#8243; class=”bbcode_url”>http://clovertech.infor.com/viewtopic.php?t=1367

My example passes infromation about if a document is too large and was tuncated during xlate, but the concept can be adjusted for passing a filename like you want.

My truncation input info varible was set during the xlate and was extracted from the message user metatdata in the outbound TPS type UPOC (specifically I used the outbound UPOC protocol).

One thing it sounds like you aren’t familiar with is that user metadata is attached with the message as if it was part of the entire message, so like Charlie said MID is not really used when tracking user metadata.

Look at my screen shots of the “msgdump $msgid” after I set the user metadata to see if it makes more sense.

If you leave the outbound thread down, you can also see the user metatdata in flight on the route using hcidbdump at a back end prompt on the cloverleaf server.

Since your intput value for filename will be set perhaps in the inbound TPS remeber use

xpmmetaget in xlate UPOCs

msgmetaget in non-xlate UPOCS like a TPS stack

which will make more sense when you see the example TCL code at the URL I spoke of.

Russ Ross
      RussRoss318@gmail.com

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags