NetConfig v6.0.2 Verification Message – Cannot find Host

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf NetConfig v6.0.2 Verification Message – Cannot find Host

• Creator
    Topic
    Peter Heggie
    Participant

I have an outbound protocol thread defined using tcp/ip; it is connecting as a client and specifies a local binding address. The thread is working – messages are flowing.

Why am I getting a verification message in the NetConfig that says “Cannot find Host nn.nn.n.nnn” when it is connected and running?

Pete

Peter Heggie

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

From the command line, can you ping the host and can you nslookup the host?

-- Max Drown (Infor)

Peter Heggie
      Participant

I cannot ping it and nslookup does not find it.

Here is the response from our network guy:

“Just like Cloverleaf,  XYZ server is on a private network not accessible from the Internet.   “nslookup” would require a domain (DNS) trust relationship to be established either directly between our two organizations via the VPN or via 3rd party intermediary on the Internet that would tie our directories together.   However, as we already know the (static) IP addresses of the hosts, we are in no need of the domain name RESOLUTION (“nslookup”) process to make the network path between Cloverleaf and XYZ.”

I think one of the implications is that from a messaging standpoint, we are doing fine. However, whatever method is being used by Cloverleaf to verify hostnames, is not supported by this type of arrangement.

This is not the only external system to which we connect that is showing up as a ‘validation’ error. I expect that our network implementation process will not change to add additional setup, configuration and maintenance in order to satisfy Cloverleaf validation.

Is there a way to disable this feature?

Peter Heggie

I submitted an AR about this issue in the past. It wouldn’t hurt to have a customer submit one, too.

As a workaround, you can disable the host check in the netData.tlib file.

-- Max Drown (Infor)

Peter Heggie
      Participant

Thank you – I will do that

Peter Heggie

Bob Richardson
      Participant

Peter and company,

As we understand this verification message (warning) at save time for the NetConfig occurs when the Cloverleaf checks if the address has an entry in the /etc/hosts file (for Unix – we are AIX).   If it doesn’t find an entry in this system file then you get the warning.   We ignore it as once the engine works with the OS TCP software to establish a connection it is resolved at run time.  Not sure if any other local system checks are performed like invoking any DNS lookups.

Just old leftover stuff that can be cleaned up but no doubt is not profitable to do so.  Miminally Cloverleaf could tell us what check failed to find the host.

Bottom line: worry about the engine finding the address at run time.

Enjoy.

Peter Heggie
      Participant

Thanks Bob

Peter Heggie

Terry Kellum
      Participant

We like to insure that all of our connected systems are listed in the HOSTS file.  We trust DNS… But only to a point  ðŸ˜‰

Tim Gobbel
      Participant

there is also an etc file called netsvc.conf which tells the system to check the local /etc/hosts file first or the network DNS first based on the order they appear in the file.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags