Linux vs. AIX

• Creator
    Topic
    TorfinnK
    Participant

Hello

We are planning to go from Windows to either AIX or Linux.

Any comments on pros and cons on those two OS

What about MQ series on Linux and what about ODBC on

those two platform, is that possible.

Torfinn

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Dan Goodman
      Participant

We’re currently doing a new (non IE) system here with lots of Lintel, and lots of HW and SW issues so far.

If you go with AIX, you can mix and match Linux in, as AIX supports Linux on top of AIX.

With respect to ODBC, I suspect the Perl ODBC package could be used on either platform. I have set it up on an AIX box for a DBA. I’d be very surprised if it didn’t work equally as well.

I like the system management tools, robustness and maturity of the AIX platform, but if you’re looking to blaze new trails, go Linux.

Personally, for a large hospital production environment, I would stick to AIX, but a lot of it depends on the business continuity requirements of your applications.

Linux is a nice platform and “ready for prime time” in many respects, but to use a military metaphor, I’d rather ride into combat in an agile tank with lots of defensive weapons than to roll up in the (in)famous Bradley Fighting Vehicle. To me, AIX is like the more armored and better defended of the two.  Linux can also do the job, but the HW robustness of the AIX HW platforms are hard to beat..

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Operating Systems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags