Linux Hardware Recommendations?

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Operating Systems Linux Hardware Recommendations?

• Creator
    Topic
    Scott Lee
    Participant

Beyond the Quovadx server hardware recommendations, does anyone have any recommendations on hardware for a new Linux server.  

What Linux hardware are you using and are you happy with it?

Currently running 3.8.1 on HPUX, we will be running QDX5.4, about 80 interfaces on 3 sites, all duplicated for testing, about 150,000 messages per day.

Thanks in advance for any feedback…!!

Scott

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Mike Ellert
      Participant

Hey Scott.

You’re going to have to forgive some of my ignorance here.  I can’t get the exact box configuration as the resource that purchased the server and loaded the OS is out for the week.

What I can tell you is that I’m pretty sure it’s an HP ProLiant DL360 – the 1U server.  I had originally ordered it with two quad core CPU’s and 8GB of RAM but found out that Quovadx licensed by the core and decided to pull one out.  So, in a nutshell, we’re running one quad core CPU with 8GB of disk.  The other thing I did on the production server was SAN attach it to keep as many logs as I like.

I came from running 3.8.1 on HPUX on an L3000 with two processors.

The migration from HPUX to CL 5.5 on Linux was absolutely pain free.  The only trouble I had was that I had to change the named ports in NetConfig to the actual port numbers as things get balled up in the translation somehow.  Cloverleaf support, I believe, has confirmed this.

How’s performance?  UNBELIEVABLE.  We’re running around 50 threads in one site and our message volumes are comparable to yours – the CPU usage rarely exceeds 3% and the memory is essentially unused.

I can’t remember the exact number of messages I ran through a translation in the testing tool on each system but that set of messages on HPUX took around 21 seconds.  It was under a second on the Linux box.  It IS that fast – I couldn’t believe it.

In fact, when I installed Cloverleaf on the new server, I initially thought it had failed because it completed in under a minute.

We’ll see what the future holds with durability etc.  For now, I couldn’t be more pleased with the performance and stability.

And you’ll love the new GUI – it’s much faster as well.

Mike Ellert
      Participant

Sorry Scott – I knew I was in over my head!  I just talked to the sys admin for the C/L boxes.  They’re not DL360’s.  They’re the 460 blade servers.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Operating Systems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags