Is there a way to trigger an alert from TCL?

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Tcl Library Is there a way to trigger an alert from TCL?

• Creator
    Topic
    Gary Holodnick
    Participant

I know a tcl-alert can invoke a tcl script but I would like to go the other way around.

I want to pass a string to the alert mechanism, have the alert send an email but more importantly, have the alert string appear on Global Monitor.

Is this possible? We are running version 6.1.1 on AIX.

Thanks,

Gary

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Mark Thompson
      Participant

Gary,

I have not used this with Global Monitor, but if you can write a Tcl alert you should have everything you need.  One approach would be to use an alert_note directory.  Every time you want to trigger an alert, create a file in the alert_note directory.  Your Tcl alert checks for files in the directory.  If found, it returns the contents as the alert message and deletes the file.

You could accomplish the same thing using rows in a database if you prefer that approach.

- Mark Thompson
      HealthPartners

Gary Holodnick
      Participant

Thank you for your reply.

I have been considering file/alert option. But in any programming, I try not to create dependencies between disparate parts of a process.

The goal is to trigger the event based on specific data in a message. The file/alert option was the only way that I had come up with; my original question was merely a grasp at a better approach.

Thanks again,

Gary Holodnick

Eric Fortenberry
      Participant

I’ve never used this command or seen it used, but it sounds like it may be related to what you’re trying to accomplish:

Quote:

hcialertnotify

The Global Monitor Alert Notify feature requires command-line support to trigger GM to pop-up the alert notification.

hcialertnotify [-M ] [-f ] [-S ]

Where:

Gary Holodnick
      Participant

Excellent!  I will play with this and see if it will work for us.

Thank you,

Gary Holodnick

Kevin Scantlan
      Participant

Where did you find the documentation about hcialertnotify?  I’ve been trying to find how cause a pop-up notification window on Global Monitor when using the notify action with an alert.

Eric Fortenberry
      Participant

Kevin Scantlan wrote:

Where did you find the documentation about hcialertnotify?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Tcl Library’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags