How do you handle Linux updates? (past certified versions)

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Operating Systems How do you handle Linux updates? (past certified versions)

• Creator
    Topic
    Jerry Hayes
    Participant

All,

Our new Cloverleaf 5.7 is only “certified” by HealthVision on Red Hat 5.0 or 5.1.

Our operating systems group says that security patches and updates will automatically update the OS to newer versions, now patching at 5.4.

1) Do you leave the site at 5.1 and update items selectively?

2) Do you update to the newest point release and run on “uncertified” release?

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry Hayes

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Russ Ross
      Participant

We have a similar concern where I work even thogh our OS is AIX.

The security group is manadating patches be installed so we aren’t left with much choice.

If they gave me a choice I would not patch so frequently and would make everything current when doing each cloverleaf upgrade.

As it stands now we have lobbied to allow us to patch our TEST environment and after 3 months do the PROD environment.

I haven’t got the word back on that but was told that would be the most flexibility our security group would consider.

I’ve expressed my concern that such frequent forced patching that isn’t properly tested or certified will have a higher potential for more down time than the threats they are concerned about and everyone seems to agree but the mandate of check boxes persists.

Our system admins claim it is a windows mentality being used in a UNIX world.

Russ Ross
      RussRoss318@gmail.com

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Operating Systems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags