HL7 QRY messages

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf General HL7 QRY messages

• Creator
    Topic
    Jeri Sicari
    Participant

Hi All   🙂

I am doing an analysis of our existing environment and found that the core EMR, PM application will release an ADT message in response to a QRY.  This seems like a handy way to get patient info only as needed…when patient presents to an ancillary system, for example.  But since I’ve never seen it in use, I’m wondering what could be the trigger from the ancillary, to process the QRY that gets sent to the EMR?  Are these triggers usually built into the app?  Can it only work if this patient is already known to the ancillary system? What type of ADT is typically sent out?

….or if these scenarios have nothing to do with QRY messages, please give me an example of how you’ve seen them used.  Answers to any of the above is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Jeri

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Raja Krishnamoorthy
      Participant

Jeri Sicari wrote:

Hi All   🙂

I am doing an analysis of our existing environment and found that the core EMR, PM application will release an ADT message in response to a QRY.  This seems like a handy way to get patient info only as needed…when patient presents to an ancillary system, for example.  But since I’ve never seen it in use, I’m wondering what could be the trigger from the ancillary, to process the QRY that gets sent to the EMR?  Are these triggers usually built into the app?  Can it only work if this patient is already known to the ancillary system? What type of ADT is typically sent out?

….or if these scenarios have nothing to do with QRY messages, please give me an example of how you’ve seen them used.  Answers to any of the above is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Jeri

Hi Jeri,

I have seen these messages with an EMPI during the Admit process. These messages may differ based on the HL7 version. In HL7 v2.4 and higher, queries are accomplished using QBP^Q21, Q22, Q23 messages. Q21 is also called Get Demographics used when you know patient’s identifier (e.g. Chart #)

Q22 is the Get Candidates List – used when you know a few attributes – e.g., name, sex, date of birth.

Details are in the HL7 documents in Chapter 5.

These messages return RSP^K21, K22 and K23 messages respectively.

These are usually triggered during an admit use case – when you do the search before you admit the patient.

If the above post doesn’t make too much sense, please e-mail/PM me and I can try and explain in more detail.

Regards

Raja

Jeri Sicari
      Participant

Hi Raja,

Thanks so much for replying to my query about queries!

Are these messages, the Q21, Q22, etc usually created by the engine based on some condition, or are they typically generated by one application that needs to get ADT info from another. I’ve never seen that type of functionality in any of the HIS’s that I’ve worked with.

thanks,

Jeri-Ann

Raja Krishnamoorthy
      Participant

Jeri Sicari wrote:

Hi Raja,

Thanks so much for replying to my query about queries!

Are these messages, the Q21, Q22, etc usually created by the engine based on some condition, or are they typically generated by one application that needs to get ADT info from another. I’ve never seen that type of functionality in any of the HIS’s that I’ve worked with.

thanks,

Jeri-Ann

Jeri-Ann,

You are welcome.

These messages are typically created by an application – usually the ADT system. This is normally not a usual function, since ADT (or HISs) typically query the local databases. However, if you wanted to query an external system, e.g., an EMPI, you can use these messages.

This is intrusive, since you now have to replace the query to the local database by the Query messages and be able to handle the Response messages.

There are ways to handle “legacy” applications which use a 3270 or VT type screens.

Hope this explains a bit more…

Regards

Raja

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags