hcimonitord using more memory (5.3 rev3 on AIX 5.1)

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf hcimonitord using more memory (5.3 rev3 on AIX 5.1)

• Creator
    Topic
    Rob Lindsey
    Participant

We just recently upgraded our CL system from 3.8.1P rev6 to 5.3 rev3.  One thing that I have noticed is that the monitord is using up a lot of memory over a short period of time.  When I checked the system this morning I found that all of my hcimonitord programs are using up 78K a piece.  I did an experiment of shutting down the monitord for 1 site and it went down to 5K.  The last time I stopped and started each monitord program for each site was Friday morning (3 days ago).  Has anyone else seen this type of memory usage in their monitord programs?

Rob

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Jay Yeiser
      Participant

I haven’t seen this.  Does your 5.3 version have a bunch of alerts in the Alert Monitor running that weren’t running on your old version?

Rob Lindsey
      Participant

Not a buch.  Just the “default” ones plus ones that check the processes for being down.

Anonymous
      Participant

Yes, we noticed that too with processes. Also, performance was degraded with time. In some cases, we had process panics after a high number of messages were processed. We never figured out why (everything is OK if you re-start the engine) …so we have scripts that will bounce the processes and monitord once a day when the queues are empty

Kathy Young
      Participant

We’re about to make this very same upgrade…Now I’m worried. What’s the word from QuoVadx?

Rob Abbott
      Keymaster

We are not aware of any memory leaks in monitord.  We ran several test cases with sites running for weeks with default alerts.  

I would appreciate it if anyone upgrading to rev3 would keep an eye on this and let us know if you see monitord growing without bound.  Please include detailed o/s information when you post results.

The last leak I am aware of was in the engine, fixed in (I believe) 5.3 rev1 and 5.2 rev2.  This leak would occur if you had cross-process routing going on, the message metadata would leak.  Normally not a lot of memory so this would take a while to be noticed.

Rob Abbott
      Cloverleaf Emeritus

Anonymous
      Participant

Rob and all,

I apologize; I should read the postings more carefully. We were in 5.1 when we noticed that issue and now that we are in 5.2 rev 2 the monitord leaks are gone,

Terry Kellum
      Participant

I think that there’s some log file limiting functionality in there.  

Go to netconfig and pick the process menu, Configure.

Click “Automatic Log Cycling” and set a threshold in K.

If you are not overly attached to your logs, this works well.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags