ftp from Redhat to Windows

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf ftp from Redhat to Windows

• Creator
    Topic
    Jason Bond
    Participant

I’m trying to use the fileset-ftp protocol in an outbound thread to write to a folder on a windows box.  We’re on Redhat with CL 5.7.  The receiving system has installed ftp server and has the user login created for us to use.  What else has to be setup on their end, does the folder have to be shared or just have that user account have access?  I do get the 550 error a lot.

thanks,

jason

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Henry Tabingo
      Participant

Jason,

I’m using the same fileset-ftp protocol to write to a folder on a windows box. Were on AIX with CL 5.7. The receiving system didn’t have to do more than just create the user login and password. It works fine for us. Try if you are able to manually go to the windows folder from your internet browser using the credentials? If not, then there might be a problem with how the ftp user account was set up.

Henry

Adventist Health

Peter Heggie
      Participant

FWIW – 550 is usually security but sometimes its File Not Found or Directory Not Found. But both security and Not Found can result when the Windows side is setup differently than expected as far as the userid in IIS. Not sure it is still true today, but a standard practise is to create a virtual directory tied to the user which is relative to …/inetpub/ftproot, usually in a sub-folder named the same as the logon userid. Sorry if I’m stating the obvious but pretty much all of my 550 errors were from situations where the expected current working directory was not really the current working directory. Also, in my experience with FTP into Windows, attempting to set an absolute path, instead of a path relative to the default logon directory, resulted in 550s. Windows Server 2008 is a little different in FTP administration but I think the concepts are mostly the same. Do you know if the FTP server has been setup to use relative (to the logon userid) root directory or to use the %ftproot folder? And yes, the folders underneath that default logon directory have to be accessible to that userid. Hopefully your logon id will have change auth to all subfolders.

Peter Heggie

Jason Bond
      Participant

thanks for the replies.  I know it connects and starts to write the file, in this case “test.txt”.  below is a snippet from the receiving system’s log.

18:58:20 10.80.46.13 [1]USER SERVER01hciuser 331 0

18:58:20 10.80.46.13 [1]PASS – 230 0

18:58:20 10.80.46.13 [1]CWD Meditrain 250 0

18:58:20 10.80.46.13 [1]created test.txt 550 5

18:58:20 10.80.46.13 [1]QUIT – 550 0

no other indication though.  any more ideas anyone?

Peter Heggie
      Participant

If you can change directory successfully, but not create a file, then it is a permissions problem. Either it is the Windows ACL (does hciuser have Modify authority to that folder?) or the FTP site is configured for read-only.

Peter Heggie

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags