Enhancement Requests for Global Monitor 6.1+

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Global Monitor Global Monitor Enhancement Requests for Global Monitor 6.1+

• Creator
    Topic
    Peter Heggie
    Participant

After having seen GM v6.1 demo’d at Inforum14, I have the following enhancement requests. Please comment on usefullness and if you feel strongly, please add your voice by also opening an Infor Extreme enhancement request.

1) add labels to SMAT Search Criteria

Current temporary or saved SMAT Search search criteria have the following fields: Type, Item, Operator, Value. Add a new field called Label or Name (or similar) that can take a text value. Value is not used in search but only to better describe to a user what the criteria is used for. Example: Type Item Operator Name Value CONTENT Content Regular Expression MRN 123456789 This new field would show on both the Select Search Criterian Definition window and the Search Messages window.

This is mainly beneficial to power users or operators, not so much Cloverleaf administrators who already understand the process and criteria.

2) allow view to be shared by multiple users

Currently it is not possible to assign a view to more than one user. Currently an authorized user can create a new view based on an existing template view, but this is always a new and unique view. Enhancement request is to add new functions to the existing Add, Edit and Delete View functions, called something like Assign View, which allows an existing view, perhaps already assigned to a user, to be assigned to another user, and Remove View, which allows an administrator to remove access to a view from a user. Benefits are that a single view can be maintenained and administered centrally but used by many users, for example – an Operations group of users can all use the same view. When the view is updated, all users get the updated view during their next logon or refresh.

This is beneficial to administrators, to avoid creating and maintaining multiple views, especially when this allows just one view to be shared by many and maintained only once.

3) when saving a search criteria, also save the SMAT file selection

Either save the SMAT file selections inside/along with the search criteria, or save the SMAT file selections separately by its own name, and have the overall search criteria dialog allow one to select both 1) a search criteria from a list of search criteria, and 2) a SMAT file selection group from a list of saved SMAT file selection groups. The latter option may be more flexible, but the former option would be easier to understand by non-Cloverleaf administrators.

Again, for power-users, operators and others that are not Cloverleaf administrators, having the particular set of SMAT files that are needed for a search will be much easier for these users to use.

4) assign logon, view and search access by LDAP/AD Group

Allow administrator to update the User List with an AD group name (without a password). May need a new flag, checkbox or naming convention to indicate that the entry is a group name and not a user name.

Requires GM to perform GetAllGroupMemberships function to AD during Logon authorization, View access authorization and Search access authorization, if there is no User List entry for the current logonid.

If more than one group in the returned group list has a matching name in the User List, use least restrictive authority (stop searching after finding a group defined in the User List that has the indicated access).

Very beneficial to Cloverleaf/GM administrators, to assign access rights to roles tied to AD groups, instead of having to provision each user.

Peter Heggie

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      bill bearden
      Participant

Peter,

I enjoyed your presentation on Direct at Inforum. We should be better prepared if that becomes a requierment here.

On your 1), having a comment on saved criteria seems like a good idea. I don’t think we use saved criteria very often but we might use it more if your 3) were implemented.

2) We really want this also. We also asked about this at Inforum and one of the Infor people said it was possible already. When I went down to the Hub to have them show it to me, they weren’t able to because of “technical difficulties”. I’m still not convinced it is already in the product.

3) This would be great, especially when we are selecting lots of archived SMAT files in a query. It makes sense to save the file selection when the selecting of the files takes much longer than entering the other criteria.

4) That sounds good too.

I would add 5) as the ability to limit which SMAT files a specific user can search. We currently only allow one non-interface team to search SMAT because we absolutely trust that user. We might grant this access to more users if we could ensure they were only seeing the SMAT file(s) directly related to their department.

Bill

Peter Heggie
      Participant

Thank you Bill,

I agree with your requirement 5) regarding granular security around the SMAT files viewable by users. If this SMAT file selection could be tied into the current view, then we could use the current view security to cover SMAT files along with everything else.

I’m not sure how to implement that. If the view security covered SMAT file selection then if you assign a view to a group of users, then they all would have access to the SMAT files.

Regarding queries – if the saved query includes the SMAT file selection, then we need to protect the query which could be done by tying the query to the view. But if queries are all available to anyone, then the SMAT file selection needs to be indepedently set, or saved and reused, within a security contect (i.e. a view).

So I’d like to see the SMAT file selection saved independent of the query, and then be able to be pulled up, but only if the view allows it.

My two cents.

Again – I urge everyone who cares about this kind of functionality to open an enhancement ticket in Infor Extreme.

Peter

Peter Heggie

Peter Heggie
      Participant

My requests for enhancement were accepted. Don’t know the priority or ETA. Again, these are all based around the premise that Global Monitor, in addition to providing new or easier-to-use functionality for Cloverleaf administrators, can also be a great tool for off-loading simple message searching functions to power users, and can also be used to more easily allow an operations group to manage simple monitoring and stop/start/restart functions.

We are starting a transition from an old HIS to a new HIS, which will take ove a year to complete, including many months of testing. After our interfaces are done, we should not have to be pulled into every testing effort and iteration. It will be a great time-saver to us and empowering to the users to allow them to quickly and easily search for messages and see their content.

To allow users to run message search queries, or even allow them to resend messages, requires, I think, some useability changes to allow people that are not Cloverleaf experts to be able to use these functions with confidence.

The queries can be created by Cloverleaf administrators, and labelled for users to easily recognize and understand. And choosing the correct SMAT files to search can be very difficult for a non-administrator, so having the ability to save the set of SMAT files to be searched will be very helpful to others.

1) add labels to SMAT Search Criteria – AR 11919

2) allow view to be shared by multiple users – AR 11910

3) when saving a search criteria, also save the SMAT file selection – AR 11920

4) assign logon, view and search access by LDAP/AD Group – AR 11911

I encourage others to enter the same requests to increase the priority.

Peter

Peter Heggie

James Wang
      Participant

You can make the view shareable by link it to an user’s View List as subview.

In addition, make sure check “Show Subview Content in Parent View” under Preferences->System.

Keith McLeod
      Participant

After establishing LDAP, can a default view be assigned to each user on creation of the new user, ie when they first sign in?

I have just tested my LDAP configuration and successfully logged in.  I had to add views via the administrator.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Peter Heggie
      Participant

That is a great idea. It should be added to the wizard used to create a new ID. Can you submit an AR for that?

Peter Heggie

Keith McLeod
      Participant

Ran across another issue using LDAP with GM.  Apparently LDAP is case insensitive for authorization purposes.  When connecting via an iPhone using the GM App, if you use a different case in your username, it will authenticate against LDAP fine, however it will create a new user in GM with no views assigned.

As you know Capitailizing the first character typed(ie friendly assistance from the iPhone), I authenticated but had nothing in my views.  I logged in via a browser and noticed that I now had 2 userids with different capitalization and there corresponding keys.

Can Infor consider normalizing the username to prevent this from happening?

Peter Heggie
      Participant

Yes we have the same issue, and would like a similar fix. I’m hoping for similar functionality to any AD logon.

Peter Heggie

Simone Heckmann
      Participant

Hi,

I agree with the above requests: We definitely need a master view and a way to assign views to groups.

Additional enhancement requests from our users:

* Support for LDAP nested Groups

* Alert messages should be listed in chronological order (AR 12891)

* Thread Notes symbol should only appear in ListViewTab, if the thread has any notes attached

* The ThreadGridWidget should be removable in Site Dashboard, because it’s redundant if you use the NetConfigWidget instead. Right now the ThreadGrid can’t be removed.

* Thread Statistics in ListViewTab are missing in Subviews if “Preferences > System > View > Show Subview Content in Parent View” is checked.

By the way, I think defining a view once as administrator and creating user views that have this view as subview and nothing else kind of gives you a way to “assign” views. You’ll still have to create a seperate view per user but once this is done you’ll be able to manage all views by just changing the one administrator view.

The preference  System > View > Show Subview Content in Parent View hides the fact that the assigned view is a subview from the user.

Unfortunately there’s the issue with the missing thread statistics mentioned above…

Regards,

Simone

Kevin Scantlan
      Participant

I found this documentation in the Global Monitor v 6.1.1 release notes.

Roles

The Administrator creates and assigns roles to users. A role is a collection of permissions that includes command permissions and page resources. Permission changes made to the role are inherited by the users with this defined role.

Users

After creating roles, the Administrator creates users. When users are added to a view, the view keeps a user list, where all users on the list can access the view. Users can have different roles in different views.

Views

Administrator-created views

Administrators have access to all views. When roles and users are created, the Administrator creates views, adding users to views and assigning roles to users in different views.

The user/role list associated with a view determines who has access to the view. If the Administrator does not add any user to a view, that view is a private view for the Administrator, and other users cannot see it.

So, it appears that multiple users can share the same view.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Global Monitor’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags