Do Alerts (Email based on last_receive or last_send) Impact Server Performance?

Homepage Clovertech Forums Cloverleaf Do Alerts (Email based on last_receive or last_send) Impact Server Performance?

• Creator
    Topic
    Bobby Harris
    Participant

Looking to become more proactive by adding “Email” alerts on high volume and high priority threads. I did not see advice in the Best Practice Guide and our server is currently strained – at times, so I am reaching out to the Gurus.

Will adding Alerts that send emails based upon last_receive or last_send impact server performance?

Thanks

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Todd Hamilton
      Participant

If your server was running at normal sustained usage of 60% then no.  The alerts you described would not noticeably, negatively impact server performance.  Since you mentioned your server is currently strained, adding an alert might contribute to a negative impact.  In a tipping point sort of way. It would not, however, be the long pole in the tent.  Other processes contributing to the strain would be more culpable.

I have found that things get weird when the server is at a 90-100% capacity.  Things that weren’t a problem are suddenly a huge problem when the server gets squeezed.

One approach we have taken is to replicate our production interfaces in a testing environment and perform simulated load testing.  Pushing our Prod clone to its hardware limits. That has allowed us to identify the bottlenecks in a controlled and measured fashion.  Allowing us to take the “benchmark before you optimize” approach to development. It has also allowed us to test the effectiveness of alerts. Helping us answer questions like:  “Would a last_recieved threshold that is appropriate for Monday 10 am be appropriate for Sunday at 3am?”

todd.hamilton.omaha@gmail.com
      (402) 660-2787

Bobby Harris
        Participant

Hello Todd

Thank you for your insight!

“Weird” is the perfect word when the server capacity gets very high. I spent some time comparing our environment to the Best Practice document and some areas of improvement have been revealed.

Replicating the production environment is an interesting idea. I can see the benefits you mentioned as well as a disaster recovery opportunity. It would definitely take some thought and planning.

Thanks Again for your feedback.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags