Diacritical marks in HL7

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf Diacritical marks in HL7

• Creator
    Topic
    Ken Seachrist
    Participant

Has anybody had the “opportunity” to have to send diacritical marks across an interface?  I think I can get them to go across, but I believe the issue will be with the downstream systems!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Elisha Gould
      Participant

Most systems wont handle them correctly and need to ensure they are encoded for the system they are being sent to.

The “ideal” way of handling them is:

set MSH-18 Character Set to the encoding scheme being used.

escape the characters using the C or M escape

See “Escape sequences supporting multiple character sets for PN, XPN, XCN,

XON, and XAD data types” in the hl7 spec for details.

If the application can’t handle escaped characters properly, then you’ll need to send them in whatever encoding scheme they need it in.

Alternatively use a mapping table to translate them to ASCII characters.

Be careful with extended characters, as cloverleaf uses utf-8 by default, so it may change the characters unless no manipulation is done and the thread is set to binary.

Ken Seachrist
      Participant

Elisha,

Thank you for the great info!  I agree that it will mostly depend on the downstream system, but since we generally use the doctor number as the key, we may be able to get away with using these in the name field.

I am going to experiment with the control characters and see how it looks coming out of Cloverleaf.  Thanks again…and …..Oy!  Oy! Oy!   😀

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags