Database reinitialization

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf Database reinitialization

• Creator
    Topic
    Barb Dozier
    Participant

How large do you let your database files grow before you reinitialize them?  Also I noticed there a multiple files related to the error and recovery databases, can anyone provide more information on these different files and which ones do you key off of to determine that the databases need to be reinitialized?

Thanks,

Barb Dozier

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Mike Kim
      Participant

Hi Barb, your databases shouldn’t be growing in size. Messages accumulating in the error database is a bad thing!  You should prevent messages from going to the error database if possible, otherwise delete them periodically. Also, messages shouldn’t accumulate in the recovery database. In my experience, reinitializing the databases is not part of routine maintenance, although if you are on a Windows platform, you may want to reboot every few months. Hope that helps!

Mike

Russ Ross
      Participant

As you have observered, the database will never shrink unless initialized.

So if an interface is down for a while and backs up over 100,000 messages, your database could become larger than you want once the messages have all cleared out.

Over the years you will see many tips and tricks about hung databases and initialization.

What I did since my memory is not good is to identify those items that might tend to be worth doing during database initialization and put them in a script

When I do get ready to initialize a database I run my home grown script which others might find useful as well.

clear_db.ksh

Code:

#!/usr/bin/ksh

# here are some other usefull database commands
      #———————————————-
      #
      # lmclear -u TEST -mp (if the user locks the database by doing ctrl-c during a hcidbdump -r
      #
      # lmclear -s -mp (that gives you a list of active database users)
      #
      # hcilmclear -p ris    (if the ris process hangs the database)
      #

if [[ -d $HCISITEDIR/exec/databases ]]; then

cd $HCISITEDIR/exec/databases

hcisitectl -k l

rm -f *.log
         rm -f lm_*
         rm -f vista.taf

rm -f mid.ctr

hcidbinit -ACi

keybuild rlog; dchain rlog
         keybuild elog; dchain elog

fi

Russ Ross
      RussRoss318@gmail.com

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags