Cloverleaf on p550 lpar

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf Cloverleaf on p550 lpar

• Creator
    Topic
    Glenn Friedenreich
    Participant

Hi – We’re investigating obtaining p550 hardware and running Cloveleaf on an lpar along with several other non-cloverleaf applications in separate lpars.  Has anyone done this, and what are your experiences?

We’re currently running Cloverleaf 5.5 on AIX 5.3 TL6 on an lpar’d p52A where only Cloverleaf resides.

Thanks

– Glenn

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Russ Ross
      Participant

We have P570s with multiple LPARs.

It has been very helpful and we currently have AIX 5.2 with cloverlef 5.2 on its own LPAR and AIX 5.3 Cloverleaf 5.6 on another LPAR.

We have found it very successful.

We haven’t run any other application on seperate LPARs but our system admins do use one of our extra LPARs to test OS upgrades.

I think using one LPAR to run cloverleaf on and another to run a different application will not be a problem.

The LPARs have the independence similar to that of a stand-alone server.

Russ Ross
      RussRoss318@gmail.com

Robert Milfajt
      Participant

We have 5.5, AIX 5.3, running on an LPAR on a Pxxx (either 570 or 650, I could not track down a system guy for an answer) concurrently with Epic’s software on its own LPAR on the same phsical box.  Our experience with this set up is very positive.

Robert Milfajt
      Northwestern Medicine
      Chicago, IL

Bob Schmid
      Participant

Are /etc/services…hosts…aliases..profiles rc……… files shared ?

Is this a alternate solution for HA ?

Russ Ross
      Participant

The LPARs behave simialr to a stand-alone server so each LPAR has its own copy of /etc/services and /etc/hosts.

As far as clustered HACMP LPARs go, I create what is called a propagation file list and can modify /etc/services and /etc/hosts on my primary HACMP LPAR and I configured it to propagate every 10 minutes in case I forget to manually propagate a change immediately.

All the cloverleaf directories and files I keep on a SAN that is mounted on whichever LPAR in my HACMP cluster is active.

I was advised to keep system required files on the local hard drive so the system will still boot even if the SAN is unavailable.

Turns out that was good advice because it took our SAN boys a while to keep from messing up.

Russ Ross
      RussRoss318@gmail.com

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags