Cloverleaf 5.8 on RedHat 64bit

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Operating Systems Cloverleaf 5.8 on RedHat 64bit

• Creator
    Topic
    Elisha Gould
    Participant

We currently have approximatly 90 sites with 600 threads on our production server which is running AIX 5.3 currently. We are currently maxing out this server and it is time for a new one.

The consideration at present is to move to some intel RedHat servers, although the release notes indicate that 64 bit RedHat is not supported.

We need more than the 3.5 GB RAM that the 32 bit OS will provide (looking closer to 12-16 GB RAM)

Is anyone using 64bit RedHat for their production environment?

have you come into any issues with crashes, etc?

Is there any issues with io performance that you have needed to deal with?

Another option for us is to spread the load across several servers, but that adds complexity in terms of failover and load ballancing.

Upgrading to a new AIX server may be an issue due to time constraints and funding.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies

Elisha, I believe that you can install 5.8 on RedHat 64-bit. I am confirming that now, and will get back to you asap.

-- Max Drown (Infor)

Mike Shoemaker
      Participant

Hi. I’m running HA Cloverleaf 5.8 on RHEL 6.2 64bit without any problems so far.  I’m not in production but I am mirroring my production environment for testing purposes and so far it runs like a dream.

I have confirmed that Cloverleaf will run on RedHat 64-bit provided that the 32-bit libraries are installed. Cloverleaf will run as a 32-bit application on a 64-bit OS.

-- Max Drown (Infor)

Here is some more information.

CL is still a 32-bit app and process size is limited by 32-bit address space. You can have multiple processes that can consume the increased amount of RAM, but each individual engine process can only address a certain amount of RAM before it runs out of memory. The actual amount is platform dependent.

(from Rob)

-- Max Drown (Infor)

Elisha Gould
      Participant

Thanks Max, Mike

Is Cloverleaf supported when running RHEL 6.2 64bit?

Management are concerned based on the release notes, that we may run into support issues if we swap over.

We have actually just set up a test 64bit RHEL 5.7 virtual machine which is running cloverleaf fine from initial testing. I’m just concerned about any issues that we may have during the migration.

Mike Shoemaker
      Participant

I was supported with an issue related to a security limit at the OS level for the max number of processes allowed to run.  Redhat version was not an issue, although I found the solution to the problem via Google before Support did 😉   I was assured at install that the OS version would not be a problem with regard to Support.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Operating Systems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags