Character Encoding in Cloverleaf

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Cloverleaf Character Encoding in Cloverleaf

• Creator
    Topic
    Lonnie Davis
    Participant

Hello all!

I am working on converting special characters (Latin alphabet) in Cloverleaf and although I can map the characters using TCL successfully, I am extremely confused at all the ways Cloverleaf displays them.

Some background first.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Rob Abbott
      Keymaster

The default ASCII encoding may not be converting this character properly to Unicode.  ASCII works for most cases but not all.  If you know the exact character set that the sending system is using, you should use that for the thread encoding.

You might try the following encodings to see if it works better with this specific character:

Windows-1252

ISO-8859-1

If you’re trying to convert the character yourself, be aware that everything inside the engine is Unicode.

The testing tool encoding should be used if your test file is not Unicode.  Make sure you know what character set is used in your test file.  Some editors like Notepad++ will show the character set that the file is using.

Rob Abbott
      Cloverleaf Emeritus

Robert Kersemakers
      Participant

Also remember the two rules for encoding in the most recent Cloverleaf versions (I think that includes 5.8.7):

1) All messages and message handling inside Cloverleaf is done using unicode/UTF-8.

2) There is one exception: messages in inbound SMAT are saved in the original encoding. This is because they wanted to make sure that a message is always put into SMAT. If encoding from original to UTF-8 was done first and it would raise an error, the inbound message would not be in SMAT. So inbound messages are first put into SMAT and then encoded into UTF-8 for further processing.

Zuyderland Medisch Centrum; Heerlen/Sittard; The Netherlands

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Cloverleaf’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags