Alerts when a thread is in an ‘Error’ State

Homepage Clovertech Forums Cloverleaf Alerts when a thread is in an ‘Error’ State

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    Jolene DeMaiffe
    Participant

I have an alert that is not working.  When a thread is in an ‘Error’ state, I’m not getting an alert.  I want an email when the thread status is anything but up but it’s not working.

I’m using the Alert Type: thread status

Source Count: all

Comparing: != up

I receive alerts if it is dead, so the alert works that way but not in the ‘Error’ state.

I’m attaching my setup.

I’d appreciate any insight on what I need to do.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      James Cobane
      Participant

Is it possible that you really want the alert type of ‘Protocol Status’ instead of Thread Status?  Thread status is generally if the thread is running or not; Protocol status is whether the protocol is connected (i.e. “up”), not connected (i.e. “opening”) or there is an error connecting (i.e. “error”).

Hope that helps.

Jim Cobane – Henry Ford Health

Eric Wright
      Participant

Did changing the alert type fix the issue for you?  I’m having the exact same issue in our engine.  I have multiple protocol alerts setup which are working completely fine…except when the thread is in an error status.  We’re currently on version 6.2.1, going to be upgrading to 20.1.1 tonight.  Not sure if that upgrade will fix the issue or if this is something that is happening in multiple versions.

Jolene DeMaiffe
      Participant

Hi

Yes, it worked perfectly.  Using Alert type: protocol status

Comparing: in   down error

I set it up to send an email and texts.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Eric Wright
      Participant

I hate to hijack the thread, but here is a slimmed down version of the alert.  This alert is working for the down/opening status but not the error status.

Eric Wright
      Participant

Attachment attempt number 2

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Jolene DeMaiffe
      Participant

Eric-is this a new Alert Config?  Did you restart the Monitor Daemon?

Eric Wright
      Participant

The alert has been in place for at minimum a few months.  Works for the other statuses, sends the email without issue.  The only status that its having an issue with is the error status.

Jolene DeMaiffe
      Participant

Have you tried to set one alert specifically only for the ‘error’ state?

One other difference I noticed in our setup compared to yours is that I have ‘Source Count: = all’  and yours was any.  It should make a difference though.

Eric Wright
      Participant

I don’t remember if I’ve tried in the past to use an error state only alert.  The error state doesn’t happen very often, seems like it only occurs when we have an issue resolving a DNS name.  I could try that.  Seems odd that the rest of the states work on the existing alerts though.

The difference between the all and any is that I’ve got a bunch of threads on the same alert and I want to track if any of them get into the error state for more than 15 minutes.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags