AIX shutdown/startup scripts

Homepage Clovertech Forums Read Only Archives Cloverleaf Operating Systems AIX shutdown/startup scripts

• Creator
    Topic
    Vamshi Mugu
    Participant

Good Morning.

I am sorry I am posting this message again. I posted it on the General forum but received no replies.

Basically, I am looking for a way to cleanly shutdown all interfaces and bring them back up. I did write a cleanup script, but in this case, I do not want any clean up to happen – just shutdown and restart.

I did give it a start:

1. hcienginestop -p (for all processes, for each site)

2. Adjust parameters in bin/hcienginestop (waitForIt – reduce wait time between retries)

3. hciprocstatus to make sure everything is shutdown

4. hcisitectl -K (for all sites)

5. hcisitectl to make sure the daemons are not running

6. hcisitectl -S

7. hcienginerun -p (for all processes, for each site)

But, I would like to look at what other AIX sites are doing for two reasons: I do not want to reinvent the wheel and I do not want to miss any step.

If you could share your scripts, I would really appreciate it.

thanks,

vamshi.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Happy Weekend!

I know there have been several archived posts on this topic. But, since Quovadx is moving into a new location, the archives are not accessible (that’s what Rick Brown said).

If you don’t mind, would someone be so generous as to share  automated scripts to shutdown processes, restart processes, archive messages, and cycle log files/smat for AIX 5.2/Qdx5.3, please?

Any help with whatever the AIX folks use out there will be greatly appreciated.

(I do not want to start from scratch)

thanks,

Vamshi.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Scott Folley
      Participant

Here is what I use.  Keep in mind that you have to copy the hcienginestop from $HCIROOT/bin to a different directory within you path and name it with a .pl extension.  This is because you then need to modify the waitForIt subroutine from:

######################################################################

# waitForIt – loop waiting for the process to exit

# Args:

#       name    = process name

# Returns:

#       pid of process, or 0 if exited

#

sub waitForIt {

local( $name ) = @_;

local( $tries ) = 30;

while( ($pid = &getHciEnginePid( $name )) && $tries– ) {

sleep 10;

}

return $pid;

}

and change the sleep to 1 second.  This will vastly improve the time that the system requires to shut down.

We use AIX 5.2 with qdx5.3 and these scripts work tremendously well.  We reboot once a month without incident.

Vamshi Mugu
      Participant

thank you, Scott, for your reply. I did notice that reducing the sleep time helps reduce the total time a lot. I also reduced the number of tries.

thanks,

vamshi.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Operating Systems’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Forum Statistics

Registered Users
Forums
Topics
Replies
Topic Tags
Empty Topic Tags